From Les Iles de la Madeleine
- Vegetable oil for misting the pan
- 1 cup coconut
- 1 cup pecans or walnuts
- 1 package cake mix chocolate or German chocolate
- 1 1/3 cups water
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 8 tablespoons butter (1/4 cup) melted
- 1 package (8 oz.) cream cheese
- 4 cups frosting sugar (confectioners)
- Cake mix can be with or withourt pudding in it or Devil's food cake mix.
Level of difficulty Average
Cost Average budget
In a 13 X 9 inch pan lightly grease with vegetable oil. Scatter the nuts and coconut in bottom of pan. Set aside.
Combine cake mix, water, oil and eggs in mixing bowl. Blend with mixer for about 4 minutes.
Pour the batter over the nuts and coconut.
Combine melted butter, cream cheese and icing in a large bowl. Mix on low speed for 1 - 2 minutes. With a large spoon place 12 large globs of this topping on the top of the cake batter distributing them well.
Bake at 350 degrees for 40-45 minutes. Don not over bake. Cake will jiggle in center but will set as it cools. Cool for 30 minutes in the pan on a wire rack.
Cut into squares and flip them onto the plate so the nuts are on the top
You'll also love
Chef Tips and Tricks
Try this clever trick to make the perfect zebra cake!
- 2 large water or soda bottles (empty)
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 sticks butter
- 6 eggs
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 4 tbsp cocoa powder
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Ready 2 large plastic bottles, cleaned and dried.
- Add 1 cup of flour to each bottle.
- Add 1/2 cup of sugar to each.
- Melt butter, then add equal halves to each bottle.
- Add 6 eggs, 3 in each.
- Add 1/2 tbsp of baking powder to each.
- Add 1/2 cup of heavy cream to each.
- Shake the bottles thoroughly until the contents are well mixed.
- In one of the bottles only, add the cocoa powder.
- Beginning with the cocoa powder mixture, add a dolop of batter to the center of a circular
- baking tin. Do the same with the other mixture, placing the dolop directly in the center of the previous one.
- Continue with alternating additions of each mixture until all batter is used and the tin is full.
- Place in the oven and bake for 30 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!