Classic White Bread
Oma's classic white bread recipe. The flour used in this recipe can be substituted for whole wheat or even oat bran, and the sugar used in this recipe can be substituted for honey. This recipe can also be used to make cinnamon rolls or poffert.
- 3 1/2 cups of white flour
- 1 heaping tablespoon of wheat germ
- 1 stingy teaspoon of dry yeast (fleischmanns)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- 1 cup of very warm water
- 1 tablespoon of oil
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 30mins
Cost Average budget
Add dry ingredients and mix together and set aside in a bowl.
Oma likes to microwave the water in a glass measuring cup for a minute and a half. When the water is warm, dissolve the sugar into the water and add oil. When the sugar is dissolved, add cold water to measuring cup until it reaches 400ml.
Next, add the dry ingredients to the mixer bowl forming a ring around the outside. Using the bread hook attachment, mix while slowly pouring in wet ingredients.
When it forms a dough like consistency, put flour on counter and knead bread for 10 minutes.
Place dough in a bowl, cover with a tea towel, and let rise in a warm place like a slightly heated oven (100F then turned off) or warm windowsill until dough has doubled in size, roughly 3-4 hours depending on temperature.
After dough has doubled in size, knead again, adding flour as needed to prevent dough from sticking to the counter or your hands. Then, mold into buns or place into an oiled pan for baking.
After preheating the oven to 325F, add an eggwash to outside of bread and bake for 30 - 35 minutes.
You'll also love
- Superfood CHIA breakfast pudding... 5/5 (104 Votes)
- Kiwi, Apricot, and Yellow Peach... 4.4/5 (166 Votes)
- Breadsticks with Parsley Pesto... 3/5 (279 Votes)
- YUM!Food Porn Challah 4.2/5 (139 Votes)
- Mini Quiche Lorraine without batter 4.3/5 (140 Votes)
- The best yeast rolls, proofed in... 4.2/5 (122 Votes)
- Brussels Sprouts Salad with... 5/5 (21 Votes)
- Crock Pot Homemade Applesauce 3.3/5 (152 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
Try this clever trick to make the perfect zebra cake!
- 2 large water or soda bottles (empty)
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 sticks butter
- 6 eggs
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 4 tbsp cocoa powder
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Ready 2 large plastic bottles, cleaned and dried.
- Add 1 cup of flour to each bottle.
- Add 1/2 cup of sugar to each.
- Melt butter, then add equal halves to each bottle.
- Add 6 eggs, 3 in each.
- Add 1/2 tbsp of baking powder to each.
- Add 1/2 cup of heavy cream to each.
- Shake the bottles thoroughly until the contents are well mixed.
- In one of the bottles only, add the cocoa powder.
- Beginning with the cocoa powder mixture, add a dolop of batter to the center of a circular
- baking tin. Do the same with the other mixture, placing the dolop directly in the center of the previous one.
- Continue with alternating additions of each mixture until all batter is used and the tin is full.
- Place in the oven and bake for 30 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!