Momma P’s Basic White Bread
This is probably the simplest homemade bread recipe out there. And now.. it's in here
- 2 1/4 tsp yeast
- 2 1/4c. warmed milk or milk/water mix (to babybath warm)
- 3T. butter/oleo
- 3T sugar
- 1T salt
- 5 to 6 cups flour (depends on weather
- type of flour)
Level of difficulty Average
Cost Average budget
Warm the milk and add the butter. Add this to the yeast, sugar and salt.Put most of the flour to the mixing bowl and the salt. Add ALL the liquid and ingredients in there. Start mixer and add flour some at a time until dough pulls from sides of bowl and makes a “matadors hat” and is no longer sticky. Mix/knead until smooth and silky feeling..Let rise till double in size..punch down, divide in half and roll out to size and roll UP into bread shape. . Put into sprayed bread pans and cover LIGHTLY with plastic wrap or waxed paper and a kitchen towel. Let rise to desired height
bake in pre-heated 350 degree oven for 10 minutes the lower temp to 325 and bake about another 20 minutes. (I tell by the smell) The bread is done when it is golden brown on the top and sounds hollow when you tap it. If the sides are not browned enough for your liking remove from bread pan and let sit in OFF oven for about 5 more minutes.
This is BASIC ..as you go you will learn and develop your own little tricks and flavors to help make this recipe your own. I gotta go now and make some bread.
You'll also love
- Easily Adaptable Banana Bread... 4/5 (68 Votes)
- Homemade Bread 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Basic Single-Serve Pancake 4.6/5 (7 Votes)
- Black Forest Roulade 3.1/5 (15 Votes)
- Mom's Gumdrop Cookies 3.1/5 (7 Votes)
- Club Soda Bread 3.1/5 (11 Votes)
- CHEESY GARLIC BISCUITS 2.6/5 (11 Votes)
- Basic fancy biscuits 2.7/5 (9 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
Try this clever trick to make the perfect zebra cake!
- 2 large water or soda bottles (empty)
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 sticks butter
- 6 eggs
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 4 tbsp cocoa powder
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Ready 2 large plastic bottles, cleaned and dried.
- Add 1 cup of flour to each bottle.
- Add 1/2 cup of sugar to each.
- Melt butter, then add equal halves to each bottle.
- Add 6 eggs, 3 in each.
- Add 1/2 tbsp of baking powder to each.
- Add 1/2 cup of heavy cream to each.
- Shake the bottles thoroughly until the contents are well mixed.
- In one of the bottles only, add the cocoa powder.
- Beginning with the cocoa powder mixture, add a dolop of batter to the center of a circular
- baking tin. Do the same with the other mixture, placing the dolop directly in the center of the previous one.
- Continue with alternating additions of each mixture until all batter is used and the tin is full.
- Place in the oven and bake for 30 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!