Meatballs with Tomato Sauce (for babies 12 months+)
Recipe from my Italian grandmother, ideal for a family meal or to take a picnic.
Recipe for babies over 12 months.
- A large can of peeled tomatoes
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 handful of fresh parsley (flat if possible)
- 2 fresh basil leaves
- 2/3 lb minced beef
- 4 eggs
- Stale bread or store bought breadcrumbs ( equivalent of a glass )
- Equivalent 1/ 2 cup pecorino romano ( Italian cheese).
Level of difficulty Easy
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 30mins
Cost Average budget
Preparing the sauce:
In a large saucepan , add a clove of garlic split in two (remove the green germ)
Drizzle pan with olive oil. Add a dab of ground beef. Sauté over low heat. Warning! Garlic should not be browned!
Put the peeled tomatoes previously passed through a food mill (or food processor).
Finish by placing the basil leaves. Add the equivalent of a glass of water.
Half cover and cook over low heat.
Prepare the meatballs:
In a bowl , put the meat , chopped parsley, breadcrumbs, remaining garlic cloves, cut into small pieces (avoid garlic press!) and pecorino.
Stir, add the eggs beaten.
Mix well. If it is too dry, you can add another egg. If it is too wet, add more breadcrumbs.
In a large skillet , pour a little vegetable oil or olive oil. Heat over high heat.
In the palm of your hand and using a fork , form balls that you will add to your the pan (be careful of burns the oil may spatter).
Cook meatballs halfway. They do not need to be cooked all the way through. They will finish cooking in the sauce.
Drain on a plate covered with paper towels.
Put the meatballs in the sauce. If need be, cover with water.
Cook over low heat for about 30 minutes with the lid on.
Serve hot with: pasta, rice, mashed potatoes, semolina ...
The meatballs can also be eaten cold. Bring a picnic.
You can prepare the day before or 48 hours before and refrigerate. I prepare these Saturday or Sunday for the start of the week.
You'll also love
- Italian Dressing 4.1/5 (9 Votes)
- Good Ole Mac & Cheese 4.1/5 (19 Votes)
- NO FUSS RISOTTO 4/5 (23 Votes)
- Basic Spaghetti Sauce 4/5 (24 Votes)
- Monster cookies 4.1/5 (12 Votes)
- Tomato and Potato Puree 4/5 (22 Votes)
- baby apple sauce 4/5 (21 Votes)
- Noisettes 4/5 (14 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
We are definitely making these Easy Cheesy Mini Pizzas for our next party!
- Pizza Dough (homemade or store bought)
- Shredded cheese
- Pizza sauce
- Cured ham, shredded
- 4 eggs
- Cherry tomatoes
- Fresh basil
- Roll out the dough
- Use a small bowl to cut the dough into rounds
- Add shredded cheese
- Place in oven on an oven tray afr 10 min at 355°F
- Put each dough round into a ramekin
- Add 1 tbsp pizza sauce, a handful of shredded cured ham
- Break an egg into each pizza
- Top with sliced cherry tomatoes and a basil leaf
- Place in oven for another 15 mins at 355°F
- Garnish with parsley and a pinch of pepper
- Serve and enjoy!
Review this recipe