Try this Syrian specialty. Recipe here!
- Toshka ( meat only)-Maria ( meat + cheese)
- 1/2 Lb Ground lamb + beef ( or only beef)
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- Salt/pepper to taste
- optional: 2 Tbs chopped parsley
- 4 large pita breads opened at the seams
- * for Maria: Syrian cheese slices (white cheese)
- ** If you like it spicy you can add hot green peppers
- *** can also add fresh mint leaves
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 1mins
Cost Budget Friendly
Mix all with meat then divide the mixture into 4 balls
Spread each ball onto one of the pita layers (dip hands in water to help spread the mixture)
Add cheese if making Maria and hot pepper slices if desired
Cover the bread/meat side of the pita with the plain side
Can cook it in a sandwich maker, on a grill or on the stove
Put in a non stick pan on low heat
Place same size plate on the bread
Place some weight (a teapot with water in it or a stone) on the plate
Let cook for 5 minutes
Turn to the other side and cook until meat is done and bread is crispy
Enjoy with some tomatoes and fresh mint
You'll also love
- Pappy John's Hot Dog Sauce 2.8/5 (215 Votes)
- The southwestern tamale casserole... 4.3/5 (81 Votes)
- YUM!Food Porn Stuffed Green Peppers 3.8/5 (101 Votes)
- Easy Chicken Salad 3.4/5 (168 Votes)
- GUACAMOLE 4.6/5 (31 Votes)
- Spinach Dip 4.5/5 (38 Votes)
- Stuffed Green Peppers 4.3/5 (41 Votes)
- Garlic Naan 4/5 (4 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
Enjoy these super easy, cheesy, dumpling-style croque monsieurs!
- 4 slices of bread
- 4 slices of ham
- 6 cherry tomatoes
- Mozzarella cheese
- Egg yolk
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- On a large piece of plastic wrap, press one slice of bread flat with a rolling pin.
- Add one slice of ham, cherry tomatoes, and mozzarella cheese.
- Take the four corners of the bread, pull them in towards the center, pinch them together so that the bread maintains the shape.
- Envelope the bread in the plastic wrap. Gather and twist the ends on top to seal the sandwich dumpling.
- Repeat this step with the other slices of bread.
- Remove the bread balls from the fridge and roll each one in flour, then egg yolk, then breadcrumbs.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Serve alone or with dipping sauces of your choice.