11 Hacks to the Perfect Grilled Cheese Sandwich
You deserve better in your brown bag lunch. Try these hacks to up your grilled cheese game and become a pro at this beloved classic!
Choose the Right Kind of Bread
A sandwich is only as good as its bread. Although you're free to try whatever kinds you like, stay away from anything with too many grains or seeds: these breads are generally not very absorbent, and you want a bread that will be able to soak up all the cheese and butter. Your best choice is probably a brioche, but other good options range from simple white bread or pullman loaf to a dark and rich pumpernickel.
More steaming articles
Chef Tips and Tricks
Enjoy these super easy, cheesy, dumpling-style croque monsieurs!
- 4 slices of bread
- 4 slices of ham
- 6 cherry tomatoes
- Mozzarella cheese
- Egg yolk
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- On a large piece of plastic wrap, press one slice of bread flat with a rolling pin.
- Add one slice of ham, cherry tomatoes, and mozzarella cheese.
- Take the four corners of the bread, pull them in towards the center, pinch them together so that the bread maintains the shape.
- Envelope the bread in the plastic wrap. Gather and twist the ends on top to seal the sandwich dumpling.
- Repeat this step with the other slices of bread.
- Remove the bread balls from the fridge and roll each one in flour, then egg yolk, then breadcrumbs.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Serve alone or with dipping sauces of your choice.