Baking Powder Biscuits
- 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 3/4 - 1 cup milk
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 15mins
Cost Average budget
Start oven at 450 degrees F. Sift flour, baking powder and salt together in a mixing bowl
Cut shortening into sifted dry ingredients with a pastry blender. Cut until mixture looks like coarse meal. Pour in milk, a small amount first, and stir with a fork until dough is mixed but rough looking. Add remaining milk if necessary.
Work fast - pat dough on lightly floured board 1/2" thick. Use as little flour as possible. Cut dough in a cookie cutter that has been dipped in flour. Bake on an ungreased baking sheet for 15 minutes.
Grandma's biscuits — a perfect pairing for chicken and gravy!
You'll also love
Chef Tips and Tricks
Try this clever trick to make the perfect zebra cake!
- 2 large water or soda bottles (empty)
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 sticks butter
- 6 eggs
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 4 tbsp cocoa powder
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Ready 2 large plastic bottles, cleaned and dried.
- Add 1 cup of flour to each bottle.
- Add 1/2 cup of sugar to each.
- Melt butter, then add equal halves to each bottle.
- Add 6 eggs, 3 in each.
- Add 1/2 tbsp of baking powder to each.
- Add 1/2 cup of heavy cream to each.
- Shake the bottles thoroughly until the contents are well mixed.
- In one of the bottles only, add the cocoa powder.
- Beginning with the cocoa powder mixture, add a dolop of batter to the center of a circular
- baking tin. Do the same with the other mixture, placing the dolop directly in the center of the previous one.
- Continue with alternating additions of each mixture until all batter is used and the tin is full.
- Place in the oven and bake for 30 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!