10 Steps To Soft, Spicy, Spectacular Gingerbread Cookies
The perfect batch of gingerbread cookies is just ten steps away. Follow our guide to learn all the secrets of baking this seasonal treat!
The Right Recipe
You'll find no shortage of recipes for gingerbread treats in cookbooks and on the internet, but look closely before you settle on the one you're going to use, as not all recipes are created equal. If it's meant for gingerbread houses, for example, the ingredient list will most likely exclude a leavening agent and the result will be firm and sturdy bread, perfect for building structures but not at all ideal for cookies. For soft and chewy morsels, look instead for a recipe that is intended to give you just that.
More steaming articles
Chef Tips and Tricks
Try this clever trick to make the perfect zebra cake!
- 2 large water or soda bottles (empty)
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 sticks butter
- 6 eggs
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 4 tbsp cocoa powder
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Ready 2 large plastic bottles, cleaned and dried.
- Add 1 cup of flour to each bottle.
- Add 1/2 cup of sugar to each.
- Melt butter, then add equal halves to each bottle.
- Add 6 eggs, 3 in each.
- Add 1/2 tbsp of baking powder to each.
- Add 1/2 cup of heavy cream to each.
- Shake the bottles thoroughly until the contents are well mixed.
- In one of the bottles only, add the cocoa powder.
- Beginning with the cocoa powder mixture, add a dolop of batter to the center of a circular
- baking tin. Do the same with the other mixture, placing the dolop directly in the center of the previous one.
- Continue with alternating additions of each mixture until all batter is used and the tin is full.
- Place in the oven and bake for 30 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!