Basic Pie Dough
useful for great recipes like the chocolate pecan pie
- 1 1/4c flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2tsp sugar
- 4 ounces butter
- 4 tbsp ice water
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 180mins
Cooking time 15mins
Cost Budget Friendly
mix flour, salt and sugar in a dough mixer, or in a large bowl with a whisk.
Note, you may have to switch to a wooden spoon as the mixture becomes thick.
With butter at room temperature, break into small cubes and start to mix into the dry ingredients
slowly add in water, as needed to form a ball
Knead dough and then place in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
Take out of the fridge, roll out.
If desired, bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes with centre weighted down.
You'll also love
Chef Tips and Tricks
Craving sweet? This rustic cherry tart is easy, quick and delicious!
- 1 shortcrust pastry
- 3 cups / 750 g. of cherries
- 1/3 cup / 60 g. of sugar
- 2/3 cup / 60 g. of almond flour
- 4 tbsp. of brown sugar
- A dash of milk
- Mix the cherries and sugar together. Let stand 20 minutes.
- Spread or roll out the shortcrust pastry, sprinkle with almond powder and brown sugar.
- Place the cherries in the center of the dough, leaving about 2 inches of free dough on the edges. Fold in the edges.
- Brush with milk (this will make the crust go golden), sprinkle with brown sugar and bake for 20 minutes at 350°F/180°C.
- Top with a handful of chopped pistachios, and serve!