Old Fashion Popovers
These are weird little doodads as they are not quite a roll, not quite a biscuit and they pop up in the air while baking but they are great in place of the others . And, you bake them at high heat first, then drop the temperature and finish baking.
- INGREDIENTS AT ROOM TEMPERATURE:
- 1 c. milk
- 1 T melted butter
- 1 c. all-purpose flour
- 1/4 t. salt
- 2 eggs
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 4mins
Cooking time 35mins
Cost Average budget
Beat milk, butter, flour and salt. Blend in eggs, one at a time. Do not overbeat.
Fill buttered muffin pans 3/4 full. Bake in a 450 degree oven for 15 minutes. Then, lower to 350 degrees and bake an additional 20 minutes.
(The sides will be hard when done. Prick a hole with toothpick to let steam escape).
You'll also love
Chef Tips and Tricks
Try this clever trick to make the perfect zebra cake!
- 2 large water or soda bottles (empty)
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 sticks butter
- 6 eggs
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 4 tbsp cocoa powder
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Ready 2 large plastic bottles, cleaned and dried.
- Add 1 cup of flour to each bottle.
- Add 1/2 cup of sugar to each.
- Melt butter, then add equal halves to each bottle.
- Add 6 eggs, 3 in each.
- Add 1/2 tbsp of baking powder to each.
- Add 1/2 cup of heavy cream to each.
- Shake the bottles thoroughly until the contents are well mixed.
- In one of the bottles only, add the cocoa powder.
- Beginning with the cocoa powder mixture, add a dolop of batter to the center of a circular
- baking tin. Do the same with the other mixture, placing the dolop directly in the center of the previous one.
- Continue with alternating additions of each mixture until all batter is used and the tin is full.
- Place in the oven and bake for 30 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!