Pesto Eggs: TikTok's Fave New Breakfast
Eggs and toast has been given a green glow-up in this TikTok must-try.
What Are Pesto Eggs?
Who doesn't love eggs on toast? It's a simple, tasty, go-to breakfast recipe.
But sometimes we want a little change, and this take on the classic dish does just that.
In this recipe, cooking oil is replaced with green pesto. The oil in the pesto prevents the eggs from sticking to the pan while they're cooking, and you can fry your eggs, scramble them, or make them sunny-side up.
Served on toast, it's quick and versatile and easy to jazz up with whatever you fancy. Read on to find out what's suggested in the video.
Ingredients (for 1 person)
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp green pesto (go for an extra oily pesto!)
- 2 pieces sourdough bread
- 2 oz. ricotta cheese (optional)
- 1/2 avocado (smashed, optional)
- Pinch of red pepper flakes (optional)
- Drizzle of honey (optional)
- Salt and pepper (for seasoning)
- Warm up a medium-sized skillet over medium-heat. Once hot, spread a thin layer of pesto over base of skillet.
- When the pesto is warm, crack the eggs into the pan. Season with salt, pepper, and the chili flakes.
- Cook the eggs for 5 mins.
- Toast the sourdough bread, and spread the ricotta onto it.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
More steaming articles
Chef Tips and Tricks
These fun Tropical Salmon Sushi Cups make the perfect warm-weather appetizer!
- 1/2 cup rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 cups cooked sushi rice
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 tbsp seasame oil
- 1 tsp chili paste
- 1 mango, diced
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1 lb salmon, diced
- Combine the rice vinegar and sugar.
- Stir though the cooked sushi rice, and with wet hands, shape into balls.
- Press the balls into ramekins lined with parchment paper, and press the rice up the sides of the ramekins into cup shapes.
- Refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- In the meantime, combine the soy sauce, cilantro, sesame oil, chili paste and salt in a bowl.
- Combine the mango, avocado and salmon.
- Pour the soy mixture over the salmon mixture, and stir through until evenly coated.
- Remove the rice cups from the refrigerator, and peel off the parchment paper.
- Distribute the salmon mixture between the rice cups.
- Garnish, serve and enjoy!