Here's the Easiest Way to Make (Sugar-Free) Jam from Scratch
Making jam at home is simpler than you think — with no added sugar necessary!
How to Make (Sugar-Free) Homemade Jam From Scratch
Homemade jam is one of the best ways to take advantage of your seasonal fruit, and it's surprisingly easy to make. It's also much healthier than store-bought preserves, which can contain added sugars, corn syrup, preservatives, artificial flavorings and even food dye. All you need are four simple ingredients, including stevia as a sweetener.
Here's a basic homemade jam recipe you can make without using any refined sugar (and without skimping on flavor).
Recipe for Sugar-Free Homemade Jam
- 4 cups of fresh fruit (strawberries, peaches, grapes, etc)
- 2 cups of water
- 1 tsp pectin
- 1-2 tsps stevia
- Wash the fruit well and cut into medium-sized pieces.
- Place in a bowl with stevia and 1 3/4 cups of water. Let it sit for 30 minutes.
- Use a fork to crush the mixture. If you don't want any chunks in your jam, you can slice the fruit or use a blender.
- Cook the fruit in a saucepan over low heat until the stevia dissolves. Bring to a boil, stirring often, until the jam has thickened.
- Combine the pectin with the remaining 1/4 cup of water and pour into the saucepan. Mix and let boil for another 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let cool. Then store in sealed jars, and keep the jam in your refrigerator. Try to consume it within 2-3 weeks, or store in your freezer for up to six months.
Hungry for more? Homemade cheese is just a few steps away! Here's how to make it!
More steaming articles
Chef Tips and Tricks
Making oat milk yourself is quick and easy! Tip: use the leftover oatmeal to conjure up a wonderfully nutritious breakfast or simply bake it.