Carpaccio of tomatoes with basil and croutons
By Chef Christophe
- 8 oz beef steak tomato
- 8 oz pineapple tomatoes
- 8 oz cherry tomatoes
- 1 bunch of basil
- 2 slices of stale or day old bread
- 3 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 tsp wine vinegar
- Fleur de sel
- Oil for frying
Level of difficulty Easy
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 2mins
Cost Budget Friendly
- Cut the bread into small cubes of 1cm max.
- Heat oil, dip the cherry tomatoes in for 15 seconds, keeping the skin. Plunge the basil leaves and keep them translucent (about 20 seconds).
- Fry the croutons keeping them golden brown, not overcooked, and set aside on paper towels.
- Combine mayonnaise and vinegar to make a smooth sauce, if necessary add a little water to get the desired consistency.
- In the bottom of the plates, brush on some of the sauce.
- Peel the red and yellow tomatoes, and slice thinly.
- Place the slices in a rosette on plates, season with salt and pepper
- Sprinkle with more sauce
- Finish with garnish of cherry tomatoes and fried basil. Serve immediately.
You'll also love
- Braised Basil Chicken 2.9/5 (42 Votes)
- pinata chicken sandwich 3.3/5 (20 Votes)
- Tunisian Octopus Salad 2.9/5 (204 Votes)
- Monkfish in bittersweet sauce 2.8/5 (6 Votes)
- Tropical Jerk Chicken Kebabs 2.9/5 (10 Votes)
- MOMS HOMEMADE STUFFING 2.9/5 (6 Votes)
- Savory Breakfast Casserole 2.8/5 (6 Votes)
- Simple Dumpling 2.8/5 (21 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
Looking for an easy snack or party appetizer? These little beef pockets are a pinch!
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 lb ground beef
- A pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- Mix flour, sugar, salt, milk, and water in a pan, and mix until you form a dough.
- In a saucepan, heat a splash of olive oil and add the onion. Cook on medium-high until onion has softened.
- Add the ground beef, and add the salt, water, and tomato sauce. When the meat has browned, remove from heat.
- Dust a flat surface with flour, and roll out the dough into a flat sheet.
- Use a ramekin or cup to cut out circles.
- Add a dollop of beef-tomato mixture to the center of each circle.
- Pinch the dough into a little pocket.
- Bake in the oven at 350° F for 15 minutes.