- 7 egg yolks
- 4 c whole milk
- 11 TBS Bourbon Vanilla Sugar
- 1 c all purpose flour
- zest of one lemon
- fresh strawberries
- 2 TBS granulated sugar
- juice of 1/2 a lemon
- Mint leaves
- 8 oz heavy cream
- 1/4 c confectioner's sugar
- 1 tsp Bourbon Vanilla Extract
- Click this link to explore all of Bourbon Barrel Food's exciting products: Bourbon Barrel Foods
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 120mins
Cost Average budget
Whisk egg yolks and Bourbon Vanilla Sugar together in a bowl until smooth. Add the flour. Place the lemon zest and milk in a large pot, and bring the mixture to a boil. Add the milk into the egg mixture as soon as the milk begins to boil. Add the mixture back into the pot and whisk rapidly for 2-3 minutes. Place the custard aside and let cool slightly.
Slice strawberries and mix together with juice from 1/2 lemon and 2 TBS granulated sugar. Stir, cover, and refrigerate.
After the custard cooled slightly, place a piece of plastic wrap on top of the custard so that it doesn't develop a film. Refrigerate until cool and firm.
Place the beaters of an electric mixer in the freezer for 5 minutes. Pour heavy cream into a small mixing bowl with confectioner's sugar and Bourbon Vanilla Extract. Mix until the whipped cream is light and fluffy. Place the whipped cream in a sandwich bag or pastry bag.
When the custard is cool, place it in a mason jar, wine glass, bowl, etc of your choice, and top it with strawberries and whipped cream. Garnish with a mint sprig and Bourbon Vanilla Sugar.
You'll also love
- Sweet Potato Custard 4.5/5 (70 Votes)
- Creme Brulee (Custard) 4.5/5 (12 Votes)
- Vamaceli 2.8/5 (9 Votes)
- maple cream 2.8/5 (13 Votes)
- Recipewe ♡ Fresh Lemonade 2.8/5 (16 Votes)
- Savories- Lemon & Herb Wraps 2.8/5 (16 Votes)
- Summer thyme loaf cake 2.6/5 (11 Votes)
- Vanilla custard (7 months+) 2.4/5 (9 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
Named for the famous ballerina Anna Pavlova, this delicate lemon pavlova is simply divine.
- Confectioner's sugar
- Fresh lemon juice
- Lemon zest
- Separate egg yolks and whites
- In a bowl, whisk egg whites
- Add confectioner's sugar
- Distribute on baking pan and flatten center lightly with a spoon
- Bake for 30 minutes at 250 degrees
- While that's baking, squeeze fresh lemon juice into a bowl
- Add egg yolks, sugar, and flour then whisk together
- Add butter and whisk again
- Take the merigues out of the oven once they're ready
- Spoon the filling into the center of the meringues
- Grate lemon rind and sprinkle the zest over the top of the pavlovas