recipe for basic lemon custard!
- juice from 1 lemon
- 2 eggs
- 60 g fine sugar
- 60 g warm butter
Level of difficulty Easy
Preparation time 5mins
Cooking time 5mins
Cost Average budget
Beat eggs with sugar until foamy, about 1 minute.
Keep beating the eggs and start adding strained lemon juice and then melted butter (cant be too hot!)
Pour mixture into small dish and cook, mixing constantly - wait for the mixture to thicken. Have to take it off immediately as the mixture thickens to stop the eggs from cooking.
Serve as you wish - in pies, tarts, or with fruits, whip cream, biscuits - your choice!
You'll also love
- Lemon curd 4.1/5 (27 Votes)
- Carol's Lemon Butter 4.3/5 (11 Votes)
- Lemon Garlic Grilled Chicken 2.9/5 (13 Votes)
- Recipewe ♡ Homemade Lemon Meringue Pie 3.4/5 (7 Votes)
- My Great-Great Grandmother’s... 2.8/5 (18 Votes)
- Cherry Cheese Crunch Cake 2.9/5 (11 Votes)
- Baked French Toast 2.9/5 (14 Votes)
- butter tart filling 2.8/5 (18 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
Named for the famous ballerina Anna Pavlova, this delicate lemon pavlova is simply divine.
- Confectioner's sugar
- Fresh lemon juice
- Lemon zest
- Separate egg yolks and whites
- In a bowl, whisk egg whites
- Add confectioner's sugar
- Distribute on baking pan and flatten center lightly with a spoon
- Bake for 30 minutes at 250 degrees
- While that's baking, squeeze fresh lemon juice into a bowl
- Add egg yolks, sugar, and flour then whisk together
- Add butter and whisk again
- Take the merigues out of the oven once they're ready
- Spoon the filling into the center of the meringues
- Grate lemon rind and sprinkle the zest over the top of the pavlovas