Homemade Lemon Meringue Pie
Taste like fresh lemons when you use grated lemon rinds!
The meringue may be tricky to make unless you use cream of tartar to stabilize the egg whites.
- 1 pie crust, baked
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 1/2 c. sugar
- 3 T. flour
- 3 T. cornstarch
- 2 T butter or margarine
- 1 to 2 t. grated lemon peel rind
- 1/3 c. lemon juice
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 24mins
Cost Average budget
Mix sugar, flour, cornstarch, dash of salt. Gradually stir in water. Cook and stir until bubbly. Reduce heat, cook, stir 2 minutes more. Remove from heat. Beat egg yolks slightly, stir in 1 cup of other cooked mixture, add all to pan, bring to gentle boil, cook 2 minutes , stir in rind, juice, margarine. Pour into crust.
Combine the 3 egg whites, 1/2 T. vanilla, 1/4 t. cream of tartar. Beat until soft peaks form. Gradually add 6 T. sugar. Beat until stiff. Cover pie. Sprinkle with sugar.
Bake 350 degrees for about 15 minutes.
You'll also love
- Apple-Cheddar Pie 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Special Lemon Meraigne Pie 4.2/5 (13 Votes)
- No-Bake Lime Chiffon Pie 2.7/5 (19 Votes)
- Cold Biscuit & Cream Cake 2.7/5 (23 Votes)
- No Fail Pecan Pie 3.1/5 (10 Votes)
- CHOCOLATE ZUCCHINI BREAD 2.7/5 (20 Votes)
- Lemon Ice Box Pie (Nana's) 3/5 (26 Votes)
- Fish with Sauerkraut 3.2/5 (46 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
Try this clever trick to make the perfect zebra cake!
- 2 large water or soda bottles (empty)
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 sticks butter
- 6 eggs
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 4 tbsp cocoa powder
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Ready 2 large plastic bottles, cleaned and dried.
- Add 1 cup of flour to each bottle.
- Add 1/2 cup of sugar to each.
- Melt butter, then add equal halves to each bottle.
- Add 6 eggs, 3 in each.
- Add 1/2 tbsp of baking powder to each.
- Add 1/2 cup of heavy cream to each.
- Shake the bottles thoroughly until the contents are well mixed.
- In one of the bottles only, add the cocoa powder.
- Beginning with the cocoa powder mixture, add a dolop of batter to the center of a circular
- baking tin. Do the same with the other mixture, placing the dolop directly in the center of the previous one.
- Continue with alternating additions of each mixture until all batter is used and the tin is full.
- Place in the oven and bake for 30 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!