Creme Brulee (Custard)
This is the fancy custard served in fancy restaurants. The correct way is to torch it to brown sugar over it. This recipe simply bakes it in the oven and then drizzles browned sugar over it. You can torch white sugar sprinkled over the custards lightly before serving if you like.
- 2 cups half and half or light cream
- 5 slightly beaten egg yolks
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1- t. vanilla
- 1/8 t. salt
- 1/4 cup of sugar
Level of difficulty Average
Cooking time 45mins
Heat the half and half over low heat until bubbly. Remove from heat.
Mix the egg yolks, 1/3 cup sugar and vanilla and salt. Beat until combined. Slowly whisk the hot half and half into this.
Place custard cups in a baking pan with water that will cover the cups halfway up. Bake at 325 degrees for 35 to 40 minutes until aknife inserted in the middles comes out clean. Chill.
When serving, place at room temperature for 15 minutes.
Prepare a drizzle sauce by melting 1/4 cup of sugar over medium high heat on stove without hardly stirring. After it begins to melt, reduce the heat to a low setting and cook about 5 minutes until it turns brown. Drizzle this browned sugar over the custards.
You'll also love
- Sweet Potato Custard 4.6/5 (65 Votes)
- The Best Chocolate Cupcakes 4.3/5 (14 Votes)
- 6 Ingredient Banana Bread 4.5/5 (11 Votes)
- Penne with Tomato Cream Sauce 4.3/5 (30 Votes)
- Clafoutis with Cherry Tomatoes 4.2/5 (16 Votes)
- Cake Provençal 4.5/5 (35 Votes)
- pastichio 4.5/5 (8 Votes)
- Creme Brûlée with Chicory 4.1/5 (22 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
These salted caramel thumbprint cookies are easy to make and super delicious!
- 1/4 cup / 50g of softened butter
- 1 egg (divide the yolk and white)
- 1/4 cup / 50g of sugar
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1 cup / 150g of flour
- 1 cup / 100g of chopped nuts
- Salted caramel
- Melted dark chocolate
In a bowl, mix together the butter, egg yolk, sugar, and salt.
Add the flour and mix. Roll into a ball.
Chill for 30 minutes.
Remove from refrigerator. Divide the dough and roll into 1-inch balls.
Dip each ball in egg yolk, and then roll in chopped nuts.
Place on baking sheet (lined with parchment paper), and press your thumb into the center.
Bake at 340°F/170°C for 12 minutes, or until golden.
Remove from oven and let cool.
Pour the salted caramel into the center groove,and drizzle with dark chocolate.