Healthier Chicken Enchiladas
After putzing around in the kitchen some, I attempted to make a recipe I came across in a magazine for chicken enchiladas… but, of course, I had to put my own spin on it & make it a bit healthier & lighter. So… without further ado, here ya go!
Please note: You may want to add a bit more cheese and/or enchilada sauce if you like your enchiladas pretty saucy & cheesy, but I was trying to do a bit lighter version here. So feel free to add whatever floats your boat!
- approx. 3 oz. chicken breast
- cooked & shredded (I cooked mine in a crock pot)
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1-1/2 c mexican blend cheese
- 2/3 c plain nonfat greek yogurt
- 1- 10 oz. can mild enchilada sauce
- 9 small whole wheat tortillas (La Tortilla Factory makes some good ones)
- One medium can diced tomatoes
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 25mins
Cost Average budget
Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees F.
Coat a large baking dish with non-stick spray & set aside.
In a large bowl, combine shredded chicken, 1 c cheese, & chili powder. Mix well.
Coat the bottom of the baking pan with a thin layer of the enchilada sauce. Save the rest to top the enchiladas.
Spread a thin layer of greek yogurt on one side of each wrap, then add a line of chicken down the middle. Roll up & place in the baking dish. Repeat until all ingredients are used up.
Drain diced tomatoes, or use a strainer spoon & sprinkle randomly in the pan. Pour the remainder of the enchilada sauce over the contents of the baking dish, then top with the remainder of the cheese.
Bake at 375 for about 20 minutes, then bump temperature up to 400 degrees & bake another 5 minutes until the cheese is browned, or put under the broiler.
Add any desired garnishes, then let cool slightly & enjoy!
You'll also love
- Healthy Chicken Salad 3.3/5 (100 Votes)
- Honey Garlic Chicken with Soy 3/5 (22 Votes)
- Caramelized Chicken 3.2/5 (11 Votes)
- Parmesan-Garlic Spaghetti Squash 3.4/5 (35 Votes)
- Potato Red Onion Tortilla Pie 3/5 (23 Votes)
- Potato and Tomato Puree 2.9/5 (34 Votes)
- Red Enchilada Sauce 3/5 (26 Votes)
- Classic Chicken Enchiladas 2.6/5 (48 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
These quick and easy chicken quesadillas are the perfect, last-minute family dinner!
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup of tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup of chives, chopped
- 1 tsp. of Mexican spice mix
- 4 Tortillas
- Salt, to taste
- Put shredded chicken breast, tomato sauce, chives, and mexican spice mix in a bowl and mix together.
- Lay out the tortillas. Place a slice of cheddar in the center, and cover with the chicken mix.
- Fold up tortillas, and heat in a frying pan until golden.