Chicken Enchilada Soup
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 3 skinless boneless chicken breast
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 cans (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes
- 1-2 jalapeno peppers minced
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 1 (6 oz) can tomato paste
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup pepperjack cheese
- 1 cup fresh cilantro
- Tortilla chips
Level of difficulty Average
Cost Average budget
In a large stockpot, add chicken stock and heat over medium heat. Add chicken breasts, cumin, chili powder, and cayenne pepper. Simmer about 20-25 minutes until chicken is cooked through. Remove chicken and set aside. Add tomatoes, jalapenos, bell pepper, onion, and garlic to the pot. Simmer about 30 minutes, covered until tomatoes have begun to break down. Add black beans, corn and tomato paste and stir to incorporate. Add cheddar cheese and half of the pepperjack cheese and stir to melt. Return chicken to soup and cook for a couple more minutes until you reach your desired consistency.
If you want a thicker soup, add strips of flour tortilla. They will dissolve into the soup to thicken the soup. Add cilantro, reserving some to top individual bowls if desired. Ladle into serving bowls and top with crushed tortilla chips, leftover pepperjack cheese and more cilantro.
SLOW COOKER DIRECTIONS:
In a large slow cooker, add chicken, chicken stock, cumin, chili powder, cayenne pepper, tomatoes, jalapeno peppers, bell peppers, onion, garlic, black beans, corm and tomato paste. Cook on low for 6 hours or high for 3 hours.
About 20 minutes before serving, add cheddar cheese and half of pepperjack cheese and stir into soup so that it melts. Let cook for about 20 more minutes on high until you reach desired consistency.
Add cilantro. ladle into serving bowls and top with crushed tortilla chips, leftover pepperjack cheese, and cilantro.
You'll also love
Chef Tips and Tricks
These quick and easy chicken quesadillas are the perfect, last-minute family dinner!
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup of tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup of chives, chopped
- 1 tsp. of Mexican spice mix
- 4 Tortillas
- Salt, to taste
- Put shredded chicken breast, tomato sauce, chives, and mexican spice mix in a bowl and mix together.
- Lay out the tortillas. Place a slice of cheddar in the center, and cover with the chicken mix.
- Fold up tortillas, and heat in a frying pan until golden.