Mashed Potato Cakes
- 2 cups chilled mashed potatoes (see Note)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour, for dredging
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 5mins
Cooking time 20mins
Cost Average budget
Divide the mashed potatoes into 8 equal portions. Use your hands to form 1/2-inch thick patties.
Heat the oil with the butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until almost smoking.
Mix the flour with the salt and pepper in a pie plate. Coat the potato patties in the flour mixture. Add the potato cakes to the pan and reduce the heat to medium-low. Cook until they have formed a golden crust, 15 to 20 minutes.
Turn and cook the other side until golden brown, about 15 minutes. Season with additional salt and pepper and serve hot.
Don't forget to season them with salt and pepper! Chill the mashed potatoes overnight for the best results
You'll also love
Chef Tips and Tricks
Let your artistic side out with these easy Pollock-inspired smashed potatoes!
- Boil the desired amount of small potatoes until tender.
- Spread on a lined baking tray, flatten slightly using a cup or jar. Don't over-flatten them!
- Sprinkle liberally with shredded cheese and Parmesan.
- Top with bacon slices approximately the same size as the potatoes.
- Drizzle liberally with balsamic vinegar.
- Place in oven, under the grill for 15 min at 375°F until the cheese is melted and the bacon is crispy.