Crock Pot Italian Chicken with Tomatoes
- 1 lb. (2) boneless skinless chicken breasts, thawed
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
- 2-3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 (15 oz.) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 (15 oz.) can tomato sauce
- 1 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 3 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning (or a mix of basil, rosemary, oregano, marjoram and thyme)
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly cracked pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese or small chunks of fresh mozzarella
- 1 (13-15 oz.) box whole grain pasta, cooked al dente and drained
- 2 Tbsp. fresh parsley or basil, chopped, optional
Level of difficulty Average
Cost Average budget
Place chicken in slow cooker. Add remaining ingredients and seasonings, except mozzarella, pasta and herbs. Stir ingredients gently to combine flavors.
Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours, or high for 2-3 hours. (Mine only took 2 hours on high)
Once cooked, remove chicken and slice into bite-sized pieces. Add back to slow cooker and stir in mozzarella. Serve heaping spoonfuls on top of cooked pasta.
If desired, sprinkle with fresh parsley or basil.
Set this to cook on low before you go to work, and you’ll come home to a warm home cooked meal 8 hours later!
To make with cooked chicken, combine all ingredients (except chicken, mozzarella and pasta) in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil then simmer over low heat for 20 minutes. Combine with cooked chicken and serve over pasta.
You can make this with frozen chicken breasts if cooking on low, though it will most likely take the full 8 hours to cook. I recommend thawing the frozen chicken at room temperature the morning before making.
You'll also love
Chef Tips and Tricks
Looking for an easy snack or party appetizer? These little beef pockets are a pinch!
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 lb ground beef
- A pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- Mix flour, sugar, salt, milk, and water in a pan, and mix until you form a dough.
- In a saucepan, heat a splash of olive oil and add the onion. Cook on medium-high until onion has softened.
- Add the ground beef, and add the salt, water, and tomato sauce. When the meat has browned, remove from heat.
- Dust a flat surface with flour, and roll out the dough into a flat sheet.
- Use a ramekin or cup to cut out circles.
- Add a dollop of beef-tomato mixture to the center of each circle.
- Pinch the dough into a little pocket.
- Bake in the oven at 350° F for 15 minutes.