Grandma's Butter Cookies
- 2 and 3/4 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter
- 3 egg yolks
- ¼ cup milk
- or less
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoon sugar mixed with 1 cup ground walnuts
- 3 egg whites
- lightly beaten
Level of difficulty Average
Cost Average budget
Mix flour, salt and sugar together, then cut in butter as if making pie dough. Add egg yolks and just enough milk to form dough, add lemon juice and form dough into a ball.
Refrigerate dough 1 hour.
Dust counter lightly with flour. Roll out a small amount of dough at a time to approximately ⅛-inch thin.
Cut with cookie cutters, place on parchment lined baking sheet.
Beat egg whites for topping.
Brush egg white wash on top of each cookie and sprinkle with chopped walnut sugar mixture.
Bake at 375 degrees for 10 to 11 minutes or until lightly brown.
You'll also love
- Khoorabia (Armenian Butter Cookies) 3.9/5 (37 Votes)
- Strawberry and Mascarpone Tart 4.4/5 (19 Votes)
- My Favorite Peanut Butter Cookies 4.3/5 (4 Votes)
- Fresh Red Bean and Beef Chili 4.2/5 (8 Votes)
- Vanilla French toast 4.5/5 (23 Votes)
- Cookies and Cream Cake 4/5 (19 Votes)
- Cole Slaw 4/5 (16 Votes)
- Classic Cherry Blackberry Pie 4.1/5 (8 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
These salted caramel thumbprint cookies are easy to make and super delicious!
- 1/4 cup / 50g of softened butter
- 1 egg (divide the yolk and white)
- 1/4 cup / 50g of sugar
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1 cup / 150g of flour
- 1 cup / 100g of chopped nuts
- Salted caramel
- Melted dark chocolate
In a bowl, mix together the butter, egg yolk, sugar, and salt.
Add the flour and mix. Roll into a ball.
Chill for 30 minutes.
Remove from refrigerator. Divide the dough and roll into 1-inch balls.
Dip each ball in egg yolk, and then roll in chopped nuts.
Place on baking sheet (lined with parchment paper), and press your thumb into the center.
Bake at 340°F/170°C for 12 minutes, or until golden.
Remove from oven and let cool.
Pour the salted caramel into the center groove,and drizzle with dark chocolate.