Homemade Sara Lee Coffee Cake With a Twist
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 1 small box of vanilla instant pudding
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup water
- 4 eggs
- 1 tablespoon butter extract
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 4 oz. semi-sweet chocolate chips
- For the Crumb Topping:
- ½ cup butter
- room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
Level of difficulty Average
Cooking time 45mins
Cost Average budget
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter a 9x13 inch baking pan.
2. Beat cake mix, pudding, water, eggs and oil for 8 minutes on medium speed.
3. Add butter extract, chocolate chips and vanilla; mix until incorporated.
4. Pour half of the mixture into the buttered pan.
5. Mix sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle half the mixture over the batter.
6. Spread the rest of the batter and sprinkle the rest of the sugar mixture on top. Swirl knife through.
7. Prepare crumb topping (see recipe below) and sprinkle over cake.
8. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until cake tests done.
For the Crumb Topping:
1. Cream together the butter and the sugar.
2. Add in the flour and cinnamon and mix until crumbly.
3. Sprinkle over the batter.
You'll also love
Chef Tips and Tricks
Craving sweet? This rustic cherry tart is easy, quick and delicious!
- 1 shortcrust pastry
- 3 cups / 750 g. of cherries
- 1/3 cup / 60 g. of sugar
- 2/3 cup / 60 g. of almond flour
- 4 tbsp. of brown sugar
- A dash of milk
- Mix the cherries and sugar together. Let stand 20 minutes.
- Spread or roll out the shortcrust pastry, sprinkle with almond powder and brown sugar.
- Place the cherries in the center of the dough, leaving about 2 inches of free dough on the edges. Fold in the edges.
- Brush with milk (this will make the crust go golden), sprinkle with brown sugar and bake for 20 minutes at 350°F/180°C.
- Top with a handful of chopped pistachios, and serve!