French Riviera Torte
- 5 separated eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1 1/4 cup sifted flour
- 1 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- Vanilla cream filling:
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- Mocha icing:
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 tbsp milk
- 1/4 cup cooled espresso or coffee
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tbsp cocoa
- 4 cups sifted icing sugar
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 40mins
Cooking time 25mins
Cost Average budget
Preheat oven to 350 degees F.
Cake: Beat 5 egg whites until stiff, but not dry. Beat the egg yolks in a separate large bowl until frothy. Gradually add sugar, alternating with cold water, to the yolks. Continue beating until well blended.
In a separate bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, and salt. Add dry ingredients to the egg yolk mixture, 1/4 cup at a time, blending after each addition. Fold in the stiffly beaten egg whites, and vanilla. Divide the batter among 4 well-greased 8" round layer cake pans. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, and allow to cool for about 10 minutes before removing from the pans. Cool throughly before filling and icing.
Vanilla cream filling:
Combine sugar and flour in saucepan. Gradually add milk. Cook over medium heat until thickened, sturring constantly. Let cool. In a separate bowl, cream the butter. Gradually beat in the cooled milk mixture, then the vanilla. Chill in the refridgerator before filling between the layers of the torte. Once filled, allow the whole torte to set before icing.
Cream butter, then add milk, coffee, vanilla, and cocoa. Blend well. Gradually beat in about 4 cups oc sifted icing sugar, or just enough until the mixture reaches spreading consistency after beating. Ice the top and sides of the torte, and chill until serving time.
You'll also love
- Willie's brownies 5/5 (1452 Votes)
- YUM!Food Porn Country Style Apple Pie 4.5/5 (1147 Votes)
- Spiced Apple and Marscapone Ravioli 4.4/5 (955 Votes)
- Lemon Meringue Tartlets 4.9/5 (229 Votes)
- White Chocolate Raffaello Cake 4.6/5 (230 Votes)
- Classic French Ratatouille with... 4.1/5 (240 Votes)
- Caramel Apple Tatin Cheesecake 3.9/5 (183 Votes)
- Lemon Cream Cheese Pound Cake 4/5 (176 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
Craving sweet? This rustic cherry tart is easy, quick and delicious!
- 1 shortcrust pastry
- 3 cups / 750 g. of cherries
- 1/3 cup / 60 g. of sugar
- 2/3 cup / 60 g. of almond flour
- 4 tbsp. of brown sugar
- A dash of milk
- Mix the cherries and sugar together. Let stand 20 minutes.
- Spread or roll out the shortcrust pastry, sprinkle with almond powder and brown sugar.
- Place the cherries in the center of the dough, leaving about 2 inches of free dough on the edges. Fold in the edges.
- Brush with milk (this will make the crust go golden), sprinkle with brown sugar and bake for 20 minutes at 350°F/180°C.
- Top with a handful of chopped pistachios, and serve!