Classic French Ratatouille with Ground Beef
Classic French Ratatouille gets a hearty upgrade with the addition of ground beef. It's a super comforting stew and pairs well with white rice.
- 3-4 zucchini
- 2 red peppers
- 4-5 tomatoes
- eggplant (I don't like eggplant so I do not add it to my ratatouille)
- 1 small onion
- 1 lbs of ground beef
- herb de provence
- 5 cloves of garlic
- 1 small can tomato paste
- salt and pepper
Level of difficulty Easy
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 40mins
Cost Average budget
Prepare your vegetables, cut the zucchini into rounds (I peel them before but some do not), cut the eggplant (optional), cut tomatoes into thick wedges and the peppers into strips.
Brown the meat with the onion on high heat (I personally drain any excess fat from meat), salt and pepper, then gradually add vegetables to the meat and sauté a few minutes, salt and pepper. Sprinkle a bit of herbs de provence, add the cloves of garlic and small can tomato paste, mix well.
Cook, covered, over low heat, stirring occasionally for 45 minutes to 1 hour. Normally it is unnecessary to add water because the water the vegetables make, but if you see that the juice has evaporated you can add a little water.
Taste at the end to adjust the seasoning. This dish is ideal served with rice.
You'll also love
- Lemon Meringue Tartlets 4.9/5 (229 Votes)
- Sloppy joe grilled cheese 2.6/5 (352 Votes)
- Microwave Baked Apples in a Bag 3.6/5 (221 Votes)
- Kiwi, Apricot, and Yellow Peach... 4.4/5 (167 Votes)
- YUM!Food Porn House Special; Beignets 4.4/5 (141 Votes)
- Stuffed Mushrooms 3.7/5 (194 Votes)
- Breton Artichoke 3.1/5 (254 Votes)
- Creamy Mushroom Meatloaf 3.3/5 (234 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
This French classic gets turned upside-down with tangy, caramelized cherry tomatoes!
- Bread, in chunks
- Grated Parmesan
- 1 Egg
- Salt and pepper
- Italian Seasoning
- 1 Cup of milk
- Balsamic vinegar
- Cherry Tomatoes
- In a bowl, mix together the bread chunks, grated Parmesan, egg, salt, pepper, Italian Seasoning, and cup of milk.
- In a pot, combine the sugar and Balsamic vinegar. Bring to a boil until it has reduced (it should be a little thicker).
- Slice the cherry tomatoes in half, and place them in a single layer in a baking dish.
- Cover the tomatoes with the reduced vinegar and a layer of Prosciutto.
- Cover everything in a layer of the bread mixture, and cook at 350°F for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven, flip upside-down... and enjoy!