Golden Fried Oysters
A very simple and easy to follow recipe for enjoying cooked oysters, deep fried Southern style!
- 1 package of Zatarain's Fish fry
- 1 egg
- 2 cups of milk
- Dozen fresh or jarred oysters
- 2 cups flour or corn meal
- McCormick's Season All
Level of difficulty Easy
Preparation time 45mins
Cooking time 20mins
Cost Average budget
First shuck fresh oysters or carefully rinse jarred oysters making sure to feel for shell pieces. In a bowl beat 2 cups of milk and 1 egg until well mixed. Then add two tbsp of Old Bay Seasonings and mix well. In a separate bowl pour half a box of Zatarain's Fish Fry and 2 cups of flour or corn meal, mix together and set aside. Next lightly season oysters with McCormick's Season All or salt and pepper.
Dip oysters into milk/egg mixture making sure pieces are thoroughly coated. Then with a fork transfer oysters to the Zatarains mixture and even coat oysters.
Next heat your favorite cooking in a medium sized skillet on medium heat half way full. Once hot add oysters to hot oil. Cook for 1 1/2 to 2 minutes or until golden brown and turn on opposite side. Allow to cook another 2 minutes or until golden brown. Allow cooked oysters to drain excess oil on a paper towel. Allow a few minutes to cool. Serve with tartar or cocktail sauce.
Make sure not to keep heat at medium to avoid burn oysters.
Always check oysters to make sure they OK to eat by visually inspecting and smelling them.
You'll also love
- Dark Chocolate Brownie Recipe 4.2/5 (30 Votes)
- cheesy potatoes 4.6/5 (35 Votes)
- Denny's Fried Cheese Melt 4.2/5 (28 Votes)
- Clam chowder 4.1/5 (31 Votes)
- YUM!Food Porn Filo Pastry Parcels with Scallops 4.1/5 (33 Votes)
- Baked Stuffed Clams 3.7/5 (58 Votes)
- Potato Refrigerator Rolls 4.2/5 (14 Votes)
- Oyster Rockefeller 3.8/5 (37 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
These salted caramel thumbprint cookies are easy to make and super delicious!
- 1/4 cup / 50g of softened butter
- 1 egg (divide the yolk and white)
- 1/4 cup / 50g of sugar
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1 cup / 150g of flour
- 1 cup / 100g of chopped nuts
- Salted caramel
- Melted dark chocolate
In a bowl, mix together the butter, egg yolk, sugar, and salt.
Add the flour and mix. Roll into a ball.
Chill for 30 minutes.
Remove from refrigerator. Divide the dough and roll into 1-inch balls.
Dip each ball in egg yolk, and then roll in chopped nuts.
Place on baking sheet (lined with parchment paper), and press your thumb into the center.
Bake at 340°F/170°C for 12 minutes, or until golden.
Remove from oven and let cool.
Pour the salted caramel into the center groove,and drizzle with dark chocolate.