French Riviera Torte
French Riviera Torte. Discover our recipe.
- 5 separated eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1 1/4 cup sifted flour
- 1 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- Vanilla cream filling:
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- Mocha icing:
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 tbsp milk
- 1/4 cup cooled espresso or coffee
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tbsp cocoa
- 4 cups sifted icing sugar
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 40mins
Cooking time 25mins
Cost Average budget
Preheat oven to 350 degees F.
Cake: Beat 5 egg whites until stiff, but not dry. Beat the egg yolks in a separate large bowl until frothy. Gradually add sugar, alternating with cold water, to the yolks. Continue beating until well blended.
In a separate bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, and salt. Add dry ingredients to the egg yolk mixture, 1/4 cup at a time, blending after each addition. Fold in the stiffly beaten egg whites, and vanilla. Divide the batter among 4 well-greased 8" round layer cake pans. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, and allow to cool for about 10 minutes before removing from the pans. Cool thoroughly before filling and icing.
Vanilla cream filling:
Combine sugar and flour in saucepan. Gradually add milk. Cook over medium heat until thickened, stirring constantly. Let cool. In a separate bowl, cream the butter. Gradually beat in the cooled milk mixture, then the vanilla. Chill in the refrigerator before filling between the layers of the torte. Once filled, allow the whole torte to set before icing.
Cream butter, then add milk, coffee, vanilla, and cocoa. Blend well. Gradually beat in about 4 cups of sifted icing sugar, or just enough until the mixture reaches spreading consistency after beating. Ice the top and sides of the torte, and chill until serving time.
You'll also love
- Dark Chocolate Caramel Macchiato... 4.4/5 (26 Votes)
- Recipewe ♡ Banana Torte 3.9/5 (54 Votes)
- Brownie & fruit kabobs 3.9/5 (17 Votes)
- Graham Cracker Crust 3.9/5 (21 Votes)
- B.C. Monster Cookies 4/5 (11 Votes)
- Excellent Enchiladas 4/5 (10 Votes)
- Cake with Sour Cream 4.3/5 (13 Votes)
- Recipewe ♡ Awesome Spiderman Cake 4/5 (9 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
Try this clever trick to make the perfect zebra cake!
- 2 large water or soda bottles (empty)
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 sticks butter
- 6 eggs
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 4 tbsp cocoa powder
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Ready 2 large plastic bottles, cleaned and dried.
- Add 1 cup of flour to each bottle.
- Add 1/2 cup of sugar to each.
- Melt butter, then add equal halves to each bottle.
- Add 6 eggs, 3 in each.
- Add 1/2 tbsp of baking powder to each.
- Add 1/2 cup of heavy cream to each.
- Shake the bottles thoroughly until the contents are well mixed.
- In one of the bottles only, add the cocoa powder.
- Beginning with the cocoa powder mixture, add a dolop of batter to the center of a circular
- baking tin. Do the same with the other mixture, placing the dolop directly in the center of the previous one.
- Continue with alternating additions of each mixture until all batter is used and the tin is full.
- Place in the oven and bake for 30 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!