60 Minute Rolls
- 1 C milk
- 1/2 C water
- 1/4 C butter
- 4-5 C whole wheat flour
- 3 T sugar
- 1 t salt
- 1 T vital wheat gluten
- 1 1/2 t dough enhancer (see Bread Lady Bread!)
- 2 T SAF instant yeast
Level of difficulty Average
Cost Average budget
Combine milk, water and butter in saucepan over low heat until 120-130 degrees.
Mix rest of ingredients together, except 1 C of flour, in mixing bowl.
Slowly add warmed liquid and mix.
Add extra flour as needed until dough comes off sides and isn't too stiff or sticky.
Kneed for 6 minutes.
Cover and let rise 15 minutes.
Shape into rolls, cover, and let rise 15 minutes more.
Bake 400-425 degrees for 10-12 minutes till golden.
Cool rolls on wire racks.
Makes great pizza crust: Roll out and pre-bake 5 minutes at 425 degrees. Add Mama Jodie's Sauce and toppings. Bake for 15 minutes.
Makes great cinnamon rolls: Roll out to rectangle, brush on 1/4 C melted butter, sprinkle on 1/2 C brown sugar, cinnamon and chopped pecans. Roll up and pinch sides. Cut into rolls. Arrange into 9 x 13 pan and let rise 40 minutes. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 min or so. Drizzle icing of powdered sugar and milk on top.
You'll also love
Chef Tips and Tricks
Sweet Apple Cinnamon Rolls
Pie crust dough
1/8 cup brown sugar
1/8 cup almond powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1. Halve an apple and slice each half finely.
2. Cut the top of a pie crust to get a straight edge.
3. Spread the brown sugar and almond powder all over the dough.
4. To get the first row, line up the apples in a straight line and cut out the section. Continue until all the dough is all used up.
5. Mix egg yellow and milk and cover each roll with the mixture.
6. If you wish, sprinkle a little extra brown sugar on top of each roll.
7. Bake in the oven for 18 min at 350° F.