I use this for my pies and tarts
- 5 c unbleached all purpose flour
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 lb Crisco or Fluffo
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 egg,beaten
- approx 1 c ice water
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 30mins
Cost Average budget
With a pastry blender, mix together flour,sugar,salt and Crisco til you have grape and pea size lumps of crisco(this is what makes your dough flakey).
Sprinkle the lemon juice on top.
Beat the egg in a measuring cup, then add the ice water to the 1 c line.Pour into the dough mixture and gently combine with a fork(hands make dough tough)
Make a ball and divide into 4 portions. Wrap in wax paper and a baggie and chill for at least two hours, or until ready to use.
I put the water in the freezer to get it really cold
You'll also love
- Swiss Butter Cream Icing 2.8/5 (16 Votes)
- Shortbread 3/5 (1 Votes)
- mr. bumbles celebration chicken 2.8/5 (13 Votes)
- Strawberry Rhubarb Pie 2.8/5 (13 Votes)
- Classic Roasted Potatoes 2.8/5 (13 Votes)
- butter tart filling 2.8/5 (18 Votes)
- Pumpkin Pudding Pie 2.9/5 (9 Votes)
- Croquembouche 2.8/5 (12 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
These salted caramel thumbprint cookies are easy to make and super delicious!
- 1/4 cup / 50g of softened butter
- 1 egg (divide the yolk and white)
- 1/4 cup / 50g of sugar
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1 cup / 150g of flour
- 1 cup / 100g of chopped nuts
- Salted caramel
- Melted dark chocolate
In a bowl, mix together the butter, egg yolk, sugar, and salt.
Add the flour and mix. Roll into a ball.
Chill for 30 minutes.
Remove from refrigerator. Divide the dough and roll into 1-inch balls.
Dip each ball in egg yolk, and then roll in chopped nuts.
Place on baking sheet (lined with parchment paper), and press your thumb into the center.
Bake at 340°F/170°C for 12 minutes, or until golden.
Remove from oven and let cool.
Pour the salted caramel into the center groove,and drizzle with dark chocolate.