- 12-18 lb Turkey
- Enough water to cover the turkey
- 1C Kosher or Sea Salt
- Brining bag
Level of difficulty Easy
Cost Average budget
Boil 1 gallon water and salt , stirring to help dissolve the salt. Remove from heat and let cool.
Wash the turkey thoroughly, and remove the innards. Place the turkey in a brining bag and add the salted water. Place the bag in a large stock pot and add more water if needed to ensure the bird is completely covered. Refrigerate overnight.
Remove the turkey from the brine and wash it well inside and out. Pat dry. Carefully separate the skin on the breast and insert a pad of butter on each breast. Rub the entire bird with butter, salt, pepper and sage. Bake according to package directions based on weight of bird.
Check the turkey about 20-30 minutes before the recommended cooking time because brining does shorten the cooking time. Regular table salt can be substituted, but you will need to use 1/2 C instead of a full cup otherwise your turkey will be much too salty.
You'll also love
Chef Tips and Tricks
These Cheesy Cauliflower Pizza Cups are just what you need when snack o'clock rolls around!
- 1/2 cauliflower head
- 8 eggs for cauliflower mix
- 4-6 cups shredded cheese
- 6 slices salami
- 6 tbsp pizza Sauce
- Boil diced cauliflower in salted water until tender.
- Blend, then transfer to mixing bowl.
- Mix in 2 eggs, pepper and 2 cups of shredded cheese
- Share the cauliflower mixture out between 6 ramekins, forming little cups
- Add 1 cup of shredded cheese
- Bake for 25 min at 375°F
- Add a slice of salami, a tbsp of pizza sauce, and one raw egg to each ramekin
- Top with cheese and return to oven for 7 min at 375°F
- Serve, and enjoy!