Turkey Bacon Crepes
- For Filling:
- 2-3 lb. turkey breast on the bone with skin
- 1 lb. Cloverdale Pepper Bacon
- 1 lb. crumbled bleu cheese
- 1/2 lb. crumbled goat cheese
- 1/4 lb. shredded port wine cheddar cheese
- 1 lb. cremini mushrooms
- 2 large white onions
- 4 cups half and half
- 2-tbl flour (measurement varies depending on how much bacon fat you end up with)
- 1 bunch of broccoli tops
- 1 tbl. Crushed garlic
- 1 tbl. Butter
- For Crepes:
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup water
- pinch of salt
- 2 tbl melted butter plus a little more for cooking crepes
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 90mins
Cost Average budget
On a foil lined baking sheet, rub turkey with olive oil, salt and pepper, and bake @ 425 for 1 hour or until juices run clear. Set aside to cool.
Dice the onions and mushrooms so they are roughly the same size. Using ½ the rendered turkey fat, cook the onions over a medium low heat until soft and translucent. Salt and pepper to taste. Set aside. Using the remaining turkey fat, cook the mushrooms over a medium heat until they are soft. Salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
Set a large saucepan over medium heat. Chop the bacon up and render it down in the saucepan. When it is crunchy, remove the bacon and set aside on a paper towel to drain.
Add the flour to the rendered bacon fat. (You should have equal amounts of fat and flour to make the roux). Cook for a few minutes until they combine and the mixture has the consistency of wet sand, and becomes a light amber color. Add the ½ and ½. Once the mixture starts to boil and begins to thicken, add the crumbled bleu and goat cheeses about a handful at a time. Stir constantly. Don’t add more until what you’ve already added is melted. Once the cheese is melted, add salt and pepper to taste. Add about ½ teaspoon of nutmeg. Turn off the heat and cover the pot.
Remove the turkey skin and set aside. Cut the turkey into bite sized cubes and add to the cheese sauce. Fold in the cooked mushrooms, onions and about ¾ of the crumbled bacon.
Heat 1 tbl. of butter in a sauté pan and add the garlic. Cook for 1 minute. Add the broccoli tops and cook for another 2 minutes or until bright green. Set aside.
Whisk all crepe ingredients together til smooth. Set saute pan over medium heat and grease lightly with butter. Pour 1/4 cup of butter in pan and cook 2 minutes per side. Repeat for remaining batter. This should make 4 crepes.
Put about 1/2 cup of turkey mixture in each crepe and roll them up like logs. Push a few broccoli tops into each end, but not far enough that they can’t be seen sticking out. Set the crepes side-by-side in a casserole dish. Sprinkle shredded port wine cheddar and the remaining crumbled bacon on top. Brown in the oven til the cheddar is melted and serve immediately.
You'll also love
- Quail with Raisins and Bacon 4.8/5 (65 Votes)
- Chicken and Broccoli in Crescent... 4.3/5 (30 Votes)
- Macaroni 'N Cheese Casserole 4.4/5 (19 Votes)
- Lemon Breakfast Crepes 4.1/5 (30 Votes)
- Creamy Chicken & Veggie Tagliatelli 4.3/5 (12 Votes)
- The Best Homemade Thanksgiving... 4/5 (34 Votes)
- BLT Casserole 4.1/5 (21 Votes)
- Sweet Chilli Turkey Bacon Wrapped... 4.2/5 (13 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
You'll drool over this 3 cheese, bacon-wrapped baguette.
- Blue cheese
- Cheddar cheese
- 1 baguette
- Sun-dried tomatoes
- Cut your cheeses into thin slices
- Slice baguette down the middle (like a sandwich)
- Layer cheddar, blue, and mozarella cheese inside the bread
- Top with sun-dried tomatoes
- Close baguette and wrap with bacon strips
- Put in oven and bake for 20 minutes at 350 degrees
- Slice and serve!