Spiced Molasses Muffins
Deliciously spiced molasses muffins. The molasses flavor is bold and the tops are slightly crispy with signature molasses cookie cracks
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour (187.5 grams)
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2/3 cup unsulfured blackstrap molasses (blackstrap is a full bodied dark molasses)
- 1/2 cup 2% plain greek yogurt
- Turbinado sugar
- for topping (optional)
Level of difficulty Average
Cost Average budget
Adapted from kristinkitchen.com
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees and place paper muffin cups in a standard muffin tin
Add the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, spices and salt to a large bowl and whisk to combine
In a large bowl attached to a stand mixer, add the softened butter, brown sugar and granulated sugar. Start with the mixer on low to combine then increase the speed to medium high and beat until creamed - approximately 4 minutes
Scrape the bowl and add the molasses, egg and yogurt. Mix on medium low until everything is combined
Scrape the liquid ingredients into the bowl with the flour mixture and mix with a wooden spoon until the flour is just incorporated but don't over mix (some streaks of flour are OK!)
Add approximately 3 tablespoons of batter to each muffin cup (a little less than 3/4 full). If you add more, you will have to adjust the baking time
Sprinkle turbinado sugar on top of each muffin
Bake the muffins at 425 degrees for 5 minutes. Lower the temperature to 375 degrees (keep the oven door closed) and bake for an additional 13 minutes. Check with muffins with a cake tester to make sure it comes out clean
Cool in the muffin tins for a couple minutes then transfer to a cooling rack
You'll also love
- Healthy Banana Date Mini Muffins 4.6/5 (9 Votes)
- Molasses Cookies 2.9/5 (108 Votes)
- Raspberry Tiramisu 2.9/5 (27 Votes)
- Great-Grandma Rose's pumpkin pie 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Corn Meal Muffins 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Banana Loaf 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Molasses Ginger Cookies 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Perfect Pear Applesauce 0/5 (0 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
Try this clever trick to make the perfect zebra cake!
- 2 large water or soda bottles (empty)
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 sticks butter
- 6 eggs
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 4 tbsp cocoa powder
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Ready 2 large plastic bottles, cleaned and dried.
- Add 1 cup of flour to each bottle.
- Add 1/2 cup of sugar to each.
- Melt butter, then add equal halves to each bottle.
- Add 6 eggs, 3 in each.
- Add 1/2 tbsp of baking powder to each.
- Add 1/2 cup of heavy cream to each.
- Shake the bottles thoroughly until the contents are well mixed.
- In one of the bottles only, add the cocoa powder.
- Beginning with the cocoa powder mixture, add a dolop of batter to the center of a circular
- baking tin. Do the same with the other mixture, placing the dolop directly in the center of the previous one.
- Continue with alternating additions of each mixture until all batter is used and the tin is full.
- Place in the oven and bake for 30 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!