Guinea fowl with pumpkin and cumin
- 1 guinea fowl 2 1/2- 3 lbs
- 2 cups button mushrooms (about 8 oz)
- 16 oz pumpkin flesh
- 2 oranges
- 1/2 lemon
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1 rounded tsp cumin powder
- 1 knob of salted butter
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- salt and pepper
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 35mins
Cooking time 40mins
- Cut the fowl into 5 pieces (2 thighs, 2 breasts, and the carcass can be reserved for preparing a stock later, for example.) - Salt and pepper the pieces, rubbing well on all sides to impregnate the seasoning, then evenly cover with cumin. - Heat the pan or saucepan over high heat, pour in the olive oil. Place the guinea fowl pieces in the pan, sear to brown all sides.
- Then reduce heat to low and cook covered 10 minutes.
-Cut the pumpkin into large chunks. Cut the base of the foot of the mushroom off.
- Add the pumpkin and mushrooms to the pan, sear 2 to 3 minutes, then reduce heat to low and cook covered another 20 minutes.
- Then add the juice of half lemon and two oranges and the butter and let stand covered off the heat 10 minutes. Check the seasoning, sprinkle with parsley and serve.