Gochujang Pasta: The Korean-style Spaghetti That's Perfect for Summer
This recipe is perfect if you want to impress last-minute guests! It's creamy, comforting, and ready in just a few minutes.
Easy and Delicious
We love pasta, and are always keen to try new twists on traditional recipes or unique ways of preparing a plate of the stuff. That's why we're obsessed with this typically Korean dish that's currently taking over TikTok. With a creamy sauce and a touch of umami, you'll wow your friends and family with your food trend knowledge.
The Special Ingredient: Gochujang
If you want an authentically Korean taste in your dishes, gochujang is the answer. Gochujang is a chili pepper native to Korea, and is usually crushed and mixed with sugar and vinegar to form a paste. The paste enhances any smoky, sweet flavors and gives your dish a unique taste.
You might be able to find it at your local grocery store, as the ingredient is becoming more popular among lovers of exotic flavors. If it's not available, you should be able to find it in your local Asian food store or online.
Once you've got your hands on some, you can get going with the recipe! It's a good idea to always have a tub/bottle/jar of Gochujang paste in your pantry, as it really does enhance the dullest of dishes.
For 4 people:
- 6 cups spaghetti
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3 chives
- 1 tbsp sweet soy sauce
- 2 tbsp gochujang paste
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 4 hard-boiled eggs
- 2 small cucumber
- 1 sushi seaweed leaf (optional)
- Cook the spaghetti according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, finely chop the garlic, and sauté in a hot pan with the oil for 3 mins.
- Finely chop the chives, and add the gochujang paste to the pan. After 1 min. add the chives and soy sauce to the pan. Stir well until the mixture gives off a pleasant aroma.
- Stir in the cream. Put the stove on the lowest heat and continue to stir.
- The pasta should be ready, strain and reserve a little of the cooking water for the sauce (less than 1/4 cup).
- Pour the cooking water into the sauce and mix again. Season as desired.
- Add the cooked pasta to the pan and toss a couple of times so that the sauce is evenly distributed.
- Serve each plate with a hard-boiled egg, cucumber slices, and finely chopped sushi seaweed.
- Enjoy the unique combination of flavors!
More steaming articles
Chef Tips and Tricks
This multi-colored Rainbow Shrimp Pasta is utterly delicious, and sure to impress when you serve it up!
- 2 oz red spaghetti
- 2 oz green spaghetti
- 2 cups shrimp
- 1/2 cup cream cheese
- Boil the red and green spaghetti separately in salted water until al dente.
- Fry the shrimp in a pan with plenty of salt, pepper and paprika.
- Add 1/2 cup of cream cheese, and stir through until combined.
- Arrange the cooked spaghetti in an alternating pattern on a plate.
- Top with the creamy shrimp sauce
- Garnish, and serve!