Our favorite grandma style cooking recipes - 6 recipes
Chef Tips and Tricks
Check out our delicious spin on the classic Brazilian cake, with Fererro Rochers and Kit-Kat!
For the batter:
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup of cocoa powder
- 1 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons neutral oil
- 1 cup of of natural yogurt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
For the frosting:
- 2 cups chocolate chunks
- 3 cans of condensed milk
- 2 and 1/2 cups thickened cream
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- In a pan, melt together the condensed milk, the chocolates in pieces and the butter. Slowly fold in the thickened cream. Mix, without stopping, until it is smooth and thick.
- Transfer to the refrigerator and allow to cool for 1 hour.
- In a bowl, mix together the eggs and sugar. Add the oil and mix again.
- In another bowl mix together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and the bicarbonate soda. Pour in the egg mixture, mix together, then add the yogurt.
Grease and sprinkle cocoa powder inside two springform pans. Divide the batter mixture between them, then bake at 360°F for approximately 20 minutes.
- Remove the cakes from the oven, and allow to cool.
- Spread some of the frosting between the layers of the cake, and generously spread around the outside.
- Decorate the cake with Kit Kats, extra frosting and Fererro Rochers, in your style!
For more food buzz and delightful recipes, follow us on Facebook!
Top rated Grandma style recipes
Grandma's Caesar Salad
This Caesar Salad recipe is made extra special with the addition of Worcestershire sauce!
- 1 large head romaine lettuce
- 1 halved garlic clove
- 1/3 cup oil (75ml)
- 1 cup french bread cubes with crusts removed
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 tsp dry mustard
- 1 1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 3 anchovy filets (drained and chopped)
- 1 egg
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice (half a lemon)
- 2 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
Grandma Marie's Baked Chicken in Rice
Brown rice and onion in butter
- 6-8 boneless chicken breasts or a family pack of drumsticks
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 cups uncooked rice
- 1/2 cup chopped onion or 1-2 tbsp onion powder
- 2 tbsp butter
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 tsp celery salt (celery seed will work in a pinch too)
Grandma's Meat Loaf (for two)
Grandma made the best meatloaf I've ever had because there was a sweet, tangy sauce on it and there was always lots...
- Loaf ingredients:
- 1 egg
- ground beef
- 1 onion (chopped into small pieces)
- 8 saltine crackers (crumbled into small pieces
- garlic powder
- 1 bread pan
- Sauce ingredients:
- 3/4 cup of Kraft (chicken & ribs) BBQ sauce
- 1/4 cup of Ketchup
- onion (chopped small)- use some of the onion you chopped for the loaf
- 1tsp white sugar
- a dash of garlic powder
Grandma's & Grandpa's Amazing Christmas Turkey Dinner
This recipe includes all the instructions to make a proper Christmas turkey (with stuffing)
- One great big thawed turkey (or whatever size you want but left overs are great)!
- Garlic powder
- 2 tbsp poultry seasoning
- 1 packet of OXO chicken broth mix powder
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 cup of boiling hot water
- 1-2 loaves of stale white bread
- 1 large chopped onion (or 2 small)
- 2 cups of chopped celery
Baked eggs like my Grandma's
By Comité de promotion des produits agro-alimentaires de Picardie
Butter four ovenproof ramekins
- 4 eggs
- 2 shallots
- 1 cup of mushrooms with (or layer)
- 4 1/2 tbsp butter
- 12 slices of bacon
- 5 oz Maroilles cheese
- 1/2 cup of cream
- 3 1/3 tbsp cider
Grandma Dand's Buttermilk Salad Dressing
Depending on the amount you want, put mayonnaise in a bowl