Grandma's Caesar Salad
This Caesar Salad recipe is made extra special with the addition of Worcestershire sauce!
- 1 large head romaine lettuce
- 1 halved garlic clove
- 1/3 cup oil (75ml)
- 1 cup french bread cubes with crusts removed
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 tsp dry mustard
- 1 1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 3 anchovy filets (drained and chopped)
- 1 egg
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice (half a lemon)
- 2 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 30mins
Cost Average budget
Prepare lettuce by washing and drying thoroughly, and placing separated leaves in a plastic bag. Store bag of lettuce in refrigerator for several hours. Be sure you have trimmed the core and discarded and wilted or discoloured leaves.
Several hours before serving, mince half a garlic clove and combine with oil in a jar with tight-fitting lid. Refrigerate at least one hour.
Heat 2 tbsp oil-garlic mixtue in skillet. Add bread cubes, saute until brown all over. Set aside. To remaining oil-garlic mixture in jar, add salt, mustard, pepper, Worcestershire sauce and anchovies. Shake vigorously, refrigerate.
In a small saucepan, bring 2" depth of water to boil. Turn off heat. Carefully lower egg into water, let stand 1 minute, lift out.
Set aside to cool. Just before serving, rub the inside of a large wooden bowl with other half of garlic clove. Discard the garlic.
Cut out coarse ribs from large leaves of lettuce. Tear in bite-size pieces into salad bowl. Shake dressing and pour over lettuce. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Toss until all leaves are coated. Break egg over center of salad. Pour lemon juice directly over egg, toss well. Sprinkle with croutons and toss, serve immediately.
Grandma's homemade Caesar salad dressing.
You'll also love
- Low Fat Mushroom Soup 4.8/5 (32 Votes)
- Granny's Potato Salad 4.6/5 (84 Votes)
- Nem nuong: Vietnamese Pork... 4.1/5 (106 Votes)
- Grilled Chicken Cesar Pasta Salad 4.7/5 (31 Votes)
- Turkey Jerky 4.1/5 (83 Votes)
- Dad's Potato Salad 3.9/5 (99 Votes)
- Mildly Spicy Meatloaf Recipe 4.5/5 (26 Votes)
- Mom's Caesar Salad Dressing 4.2/5 (5 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
Dive into summer with this fresh, light and healthy mango salad!
- 2 limes
- Olive oil
- Soy sauce
- Red onion, minced
- Lightly sautée the peanuts until golden.
- Take the carrots and cut into thin slices.
- Peel the mango and slice into thin strips.
- Squeeze the juice from 2 limes into a bowl, and add olive oil, soy sauce, minced onion, salt and pepper.
- In a bowl, toss together the mango, carrot, rocket, and lime-soy dressing.