By Alice Démarez
- 16 oz almonds with skin
- generous 3/4 cup sugar
- 4 1/4 cups milk
- 8 sheets of gelatin
- 2 cups very cold cream
- 16 oz sliced pistachios
- icing sugar
- mint leaf
- 3/4 cup of ripe strawberries
Level of difficulty Difficult
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 120mins
Cost Average budget
Immerse almonds in 2 cups of boiling water, simmer for 1 minute then drain and remove the brown skin by pinching between thumb and forefinger. Wipe the almonds in a towel and chop them coarsely using of a food processor, adding 1/4 cup of sugar.
Put the chopped almonds in a saucepan with the milk, bring to a boil then remove from heat and let steep 2 hours. After this time, put the almond milk through a fine sieve and squeeze with hands to separate all the liquid. Pour into a saucepan and heat over low heat, adding the remaining sugar.
Put the gelatin in cold water to soften, drain it by pressing it between your hands and throw it in the hot milk, remove from heat, stir and let cool.
- When the almond milk begins to set, whip the cream and mix gently with milk. Hull the strawberries, wash them, dry them, slice them.
- Rinse with a mold cold water, do not wipe. Pour in the almond mixture, fill halfway and place in freezer for 5 min. Take out and spread half the strawberries on the chilled almond mixture, pour the remaining mixture and chill at least 4 hours.
To unmold the blancmange, dip bottom of pan in warm water, unmold it onto a platter, surround with the remaining strawberries and mint leaves, sprinkle with slivered pistachios and dust with powdered sugar. Serve chilled.
You'll also love
Chef Tips and Tricks
This French classic gets turned upside-down with tangy, caramelized cherry tomatoes!
- Bread, in chunks
- Grated Parmesan
- 1 Egg
- Salt and pepper
- Italian Seasoning
- 1 Cup of milk
- Balsamic vinegar
- Cherry Tomatoes
- In a bowl, mix together the bread chunks, grated Parmesan, egg, salt, pepper, Italian Seasoning, and cup of milk.
- In a pot, combine the sugar and Balsamic vinegar. Bring to a boil until it has reduced (it should be a little thicker).
- Slice the cherry tomatoes in half, and place them in a single layer in a baking dish.
- Cover the tomatoes with the reduced vinegar and a layer of Prosciutto.
- Cover everything in a layer of the bread mixture, and cook at 350°F for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven, flip upside-down... and enjoy!