Cabbage rolls stuffed with seasoned meat and rice in a tomato sauce.
- 1 large head of cabbage
- 2 Tablespoons shortening
- 2 large onions
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb ground pork
- 2-3 Tablespoons Hungarian Paprika
- 1 large can tomato juice
- 1 can sauerkraut
- 1 package smoked kielbasa, cut into pieces
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- salt & pepper
Level of difficulty Difficult
Preparation time 60mins
Cooking time 60mins
Cost Average budget
Core cabbage and boil in large pot of water until tender enough to roll. Remove from water and cool, separate leaves and place in bowl.
In skillet heat shortening, add diced onions and cook until browned. Add paprika and simmer until darkened. Remove from heat and let cool.
In a separate bowl, combine beef, pork, cooked onions, salt, pepper, and rice.
Remove bulk of center vein from each cabbage leaf with a knife. Place 1/4 to 1/2 cup meat mixture in cabbage leaf near stem end, roll towards edge of leaf and tuck in sides. Repeat with all leaves/meat.
Place cabbage rolls in deep pot, layering rolls with sauerkraut and pieces of kielbasa, add tomato juice and water until filled as high as cabbage rolls. Spread remaining sauerkraut on top.
Cook over medium high heat for 1-2 hours
Serve with fresh rye bread for dipping!
You'll also love
Chef Tips and Tricks
These tasty stuffed cabbage rolls are so easy!
- 1 onion
- 5 - 6 thick rashers bacon
- 1/2 lb sausage meat
- 1/2 cup tomato paste
- 2 cloves garlic, diced
- 2 bell peppers, diced
- 1 cabbage head
- Fry the bacon in a skillet, then add onion, and meat.
- Add tomato paste, bell peppers, garlic and salt, and simmer till cooked through
- Boil 1 whole cabbage head in salted water till tender
- Spoon mixture into individual cabbage leaves, and fold carefully to form little rolls
- Serve with any remaining mixture