This is a Italian favorite of mine. The rich, creamy custard filling is the bomb. Has coffee in it so, coffee lovers this is the right dessert for you!
- Lady Fingers
- 3 cups of Espresso
- 4 ounces of sugar (plus 2 or more tablespoons for coffee)
- (2) 8 ounce containers of mascarpone
- 5 eggs separated
- Pinch of salt
- 2 shots of rum (optional)
- 2 tablespoons of unsweetened cocoa
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 45mins
Cost Average budget
Mix the egg yolks with 2 ounces sugar, and mix until you obtain a creamy light mixture. Work the mascarpone in a bowl using a wooden spoon, making sure you eliminate any lumps, then add the mascarpone to the sugar-egg mixture and continue to mix well.
In a separate bowl, mix the egg whites, pinch of salt, and the remaining 2 ounces sugar, until they reach a somewhat firm, but fluffy consistency, then add them to the mascarpone mixture. Stir in the rum, if using.
Dip the savoiardi cookies (firm ladyfingers) in the coffee, and one by one lay them flat into a 7 by 11 pyrex tray, making sure you do not soak the cookies, as you want to make sure they maintain their firmness. Once the first layer of cookies has been laid out, spread a layer of the mascarpone cream on top, and dust with 1 tablespoon cocoa powder.
Now, again, prepare another layer of coffee-dipped cookies, cream and cocoa powder.
Cover and refrigerate for about 2-3 hours or until ready to serve
If you don't have mascarpone cheese, you can make a substitute with 3 tablespoons of sugar,half cup of heavy whipping cream, 2 packages of cheese cream, and 5 tablespoons of sour cream.
If you don't want to use raw egg whites, use whipped heavy cream, or cool whip.( premade whipping cream)
If you want to make the raw egg yolks safe to eat, temper them.( Use a double boiler and stir vigorously)
You'll also love
- Willie's brownies 5/5 (1452 Votes)
- YUM!Food Porn Country Style Apple Pie 4.5/5 (1147 Votes)
- Spiced Apple and Marscapone Ravioli 4.4/5 (955 Votes)
- Spinach and ricotta cannelloni 2.8/5 (266 Votes)
- Salmon Leek Lasagna 3.5/5 (190 Votes)
- Recipewe ♡ Pizza Dough in Bread machine 3.9/5 (119 Votes)
- Dark Chocolate Caramel Macchiato... 4.4/5 (26 Votes)
- Creamy Vanilla Cheesecake 4.5/5 (15 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
You'll be eating this tiramisu with a twist all summer!
- 2 cups strawberries
- 12 oz (1 1/2 cups) mascarpone cheese
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup icing sugar
- Blend the strawberries to a pulp.
- Mix the mascarpone cheese, sour cream, and sugar.
- Crush the ginger biscuits.
- In a jar or bowl, layer the biscuits, the strawberries, and the cream mix (biscuits, part of cream mix, strawberries, and then another layer of cream mix).
- Top off with a fresh sliced strawberry and some ginger biscuit crumbs.