Turkey Meatball Soup with Mixed Greens
This beautiful soup can be prepared on the weekend and then stored in the refrigerator or freezer for dinners and lunches throughout the week! Look out, though, because the soup is so fragrant and delicious it might not make it to the freezer!
Find more recipes from the Kitchen Witch here
- Turkey Meatball Ingredients
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 heaping tbsp grated white onion
- 1 tbsp finely minced celery
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- Soup Ingredients
- 1 tbsp each extra virgin olive oil and butter
- 1 cup finely diced onion
- 1/2 cup finely diced celery
- 1/2 cup diced carrots
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 4 cups chopped mixed greens like Swiss chard, spinach, and kale
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
Level of difficulty Easy
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 35mins
Cost Average budget
Mix all of the meatball ingredients together and form into cocktail sized balls. Set aside.
Saute the celery, carrots, and onion in the butter and olive oil over medium high heat in a large soup pot.
When the vegetables just begin to turn soft, add the meatballs a few at a time and let them saute a little to get well coated in the olive oil and butter.
Add the chicken stock and bring to the boil. Once boiling, cover, turn to medium low, and continue to simmer for 30 minutes.
After the soup has simmered 30 minutes, add the greens, stir well until wilted, and then add the black pepper and lemon juice. Serve in large soup bowls.
To freeze, cool to room temperature and place flat on a cookie sheet in ziplock freezer bags. Place in freezer on cookie tray until frozen and then stack. Can be kept up to 3 months.
You'll also love
Chef Tips and Tricks
Bursting with cheese and wrapped up in bacon, these stuffed chicken breasts are totally irresistible!
- Chicken breast
- 6 -8 bacon slices
- 1 cup spinach leaves
- 1 small jar semi-dried tomatoes
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- Salt and pepper
- Carefully slice the chicken breasts, forming a pocket, without cutting right through.
- Fry the breasts until golden brown on both sides.
- Layer bacon slices on a chopping board.
- Place the chicken breast on the far left, and top with spinach leaves, semi-dried tomatoes and cheese. Season with salt and pepper.
- Roll the chicken breast in the bacon slices, folding it closed as you go.
- Cook in the oven for 20 minutes at 375°F.
- Serve, and enjoy!