Mayan Molten Chocolate Cupcakes
Dark chocolate cupcakes with a spiced chocolate glaze
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- divided use
- 14 ounces coarsely chopped bittersweet chocolate
- divided use
- 1 teaspoon instant espresso powder
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground sea salt
- 1 1/4 teaspoons ground ancho chili powder
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated orange zest
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 22mins
Cost Average budget
Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with paper muffin cups.
Melt 4 tablespoons of the butter, in a medium saucepan, over medium heat. Turn heat off, and stir in 8 ounces chocolate, and espresso powder, until melted and smooth.
Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and chili powder, in a medium sized bowl. Whisk in brown sugar, until combined.
In a large bowl, using an electric mixer on medium speed, beat together eggs, oil, buttermilk, and vanilla, for 2 minutes. Reduce mixer speed to low, and beat in melted chocolate mixture, until combined, about 1 minute. Beat in flour mixture, until just combined.
Divide batter into muffin cups.
Bake at 350 degrees F, for 22-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into cupcakes, comes out with moist crumbs attached. Cool cupcakes for 5 minutes in pan; remove from pan, and cool completely on a wire rack.
Heat the additional 2 tablespoons butter, cream, orange zest, and cinnamon, in a small saucepan, over medium heat. When butter is melted, and mixture is hot, but not boiling, remove pan from heat. Stir in the additional 6 ounces of chocolate, until melted and smooth; cool mixture for 15 minutes.
Dip top of cupcakes into chocolate glaze.
You'll also love
Chef Tips and Tricks
Looking for something indulgent? These velvety chocolate beetroot cakes will hit the spot.
- 1.3 cups beetroot
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons oil
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 4/5 cup flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- Melted dark chocolate
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- Put the beetroot, eggs, oil and lemon juice in a food processor, and blend until smooth.
- In a bowl, whisk together the flour and sugar.
- Add the blended beetroot mixture, and mix until smooth.
- Add the baking powder and mix until fully incorporated.
- Pour the batter into silicone cake moulds.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until you a pick comes out clean.
- Top with melted dark chocolate, and enjoy!