Mayan Molten Chocolate Cupcakes
Dark chocolate cupcakes with a spiced chocolate glaze
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided use
- 14 ounces coarsely chopped bittersweet chocolate, divided use
- 1 teaspoon instant espresso powder
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground sea salt
- 1 1/4 teaspoons ground ancho chili powder
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated orange zest
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 22mins
Cost Average budget
Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with paper muffin cups.
Melt 4 tablespoons of the butter, in a medium saucepan, over medium heat. Turn heat off, and stir in 8 ounces chocolate, and espresso powder, until melted and smooth.
Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and chili powder, in a medium sized bowl. Whisk in brown sugar, until combined.
In a large bowl, using an electric mixer on medium speed, beat together eggs, oil, buttermilk, and vanilla, for 2 minutes. Reduce mixer speed to low, and beat in melted chocolate mixture, until combined, about 1 minute. Beat in flour mixture, until just combined.
Divide batter into muffin cups.
Bake at 350 degrees F, for 22-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into cupcakes, comes out with moist crumbs attached. Cool cupcakes for 5 minutes in pan; remove from pan, and cool completely on a wire rack.
Heat the additional 2 tablespoons butter, cream, orange zest, and cinnamon, in a small saucepan, over medium heat. When butter is melted, and mixture is hot, but not boiling, remove pan from heat. Stir in the additional 6 ounces of chocolate, until melted and smooth; cool mixture for 15 minutes.
Dip top of cupcakes into chocolate glaze.
You'll also love
- Greek Yogurt Sundae 4.2/5 (13 Votes)
- YUM!Food Porn Sweet Marie Bars 3.8/5 (66 Votes)
- Drunken Icing 4.2/5 (10 Votes)
- Red Velvet Cupcakes 3.8/5 (22 Votes)
- Peanut Butter Cup Cakes 4.2/5 (20 Votes)
- Ultimate Chocolate Cupcakes 4/5 (17 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
Looking for something indulgent? These velvety chocolate beetroot cakes will hit the spot.
- 1.3 cups beetroot
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons oil
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 4/5 cup flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- Melted dark chocolate
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- Put the beetroot, eggs, oil and lemon juice in a food processor, and blend until smooth.
- In a bowl, whisk together the flour and sugar.
- Add the blended beetroot mixture, and mix until smooth.
- Add the baking powder and mix until fully incorporated.
- Pour the batter into silicone cake moulds.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until you a pick comes out clean.
- Top with melted dark chocolate, and enjoy!
Review this recipe