Appalachian Jerky Instructions
The following are basic instructions for the processing of venison jerky. This recipe can also be used for beef and pork products.
- 12.5 to 15 pounds Venison or Beef
- 16 ounces Appalachian Jerky Seasoning (True-Value)
- 1 ounce Curing Salt
- 1/2 gallon Cold Water
- 1 ounce Liquid Smoke (optional)
Level of difficulty Average
Cost Average budget
Choose large single muscle pieces of meat - loins and hind quarters.
Slice meat with the grain approximately 1/4" thick.
In a large Non-Metallic bowl blend seasonings, curing salt, liquid smoke and water together.
Place sliced meat into mixture, cover with plastic wrap, and marinate 24 to 48 hours in the refrigerator.
Placed sliced meat on racks in dehydrator or cookie sheets to cook in oven.
For oven processing set temperature to 150°, bake for 2 to 5 hours until desired texture is achieved.
Store jerky in brown paper bag in refrigerator.
This package of seasoning can also be used with ground meat to make a jerky that is easier to chew. Using extra lean ground meat, grind through 3/16" plate or smaller. Blend 12 TBSP of seasoning, 1/2 TSP of curing salt and 1/8th Cup of water to 3 LBS of meat. Mix until very sticky. Dampen counter top and lay a sheet of waxed paper or saran wrap on counter top. Place a handful of mixed meat on waxed paper or saran wrap and flatten with the palm of your hand. Lay another sheet of waxed paper or saran wrap on top of the meat and then flatten to 1/4" with a tolling pin. Remove top sheet of waxed paper or saran wrap. use a table knife to cut meat into strips. Gently pick up strips and lay on cookie sheets or dehydrator racks. If using an electric oven, prop open the oven door an inch or so to improve air flow and shorten drying time. Processing time in the oven @ 150° will be 4 to 6 hours. Product will shrink 60% by weight. Store in brown paper bag in refrigerator.
You'll also love
Chef Tips and Tricks
Looking for an easy snack or party appetizer? These little beef pockets are a pinch!
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 lb ground beef
- A pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- Mix flour, sugar, salt, milk, and water in a pan, and mix until you form a dough.
- In a saucepan, heat a splash of olive oil and add the onion. Cook on medium-high until onion has softened.
- Add the ground beef, and add the salt, water, and tomato sauce. When the meat has browned, remove from heat.
- Dust a flat surface with flour, and roll out the dough into a flat sheet.
- Use a ramekin or cup to cut out circles.
- Add a dollop of beef-tomato mixture to the center of each circle.
- Pinch the dough into a little pocket.
- Bake in the oven at 350° F for 15 minutes.