Apple Rose Tart
People first eat with their eyes.
What's a better way to say "I love you" than with roses?
But this time, the roses can be eaten as well.
This tart combines stunning beauty with unforgettable taste, utilizing the visuals of roses, the fragrant aroma of lavender alongside a fresh, creamy custard in a buttery, flaky, crust. Once any loved one sees this, they will be sure to swoon.
100% love guaranteed.
- 1/4 cup Hazelnuts
- 1/2 cup Flour
- 1/4 cup Sugar
- 1/2 stick Butter
- ½ Tbsp Salt
- 4 oz Cream Cheese
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 4 cup Sour Cream
- 2 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- Apple Roses:
- 2 Large Apples
- braeburn or gala
- 1 cups Water
- ½ cup Sugar
- 1/8 cup Lemon Juice
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 30mins
Cost Budget Friendly
Preparing the crust:
1. In a food processor, crush hazelnuts to a fine ground and preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Mix flour, sugar, salt, and melted butter in a bowl until a dough is formed.
3. In a 9" tart pan, press dough evenly around pan, roughly 1/4" in thick and poke several holes in the bottom with a fork to prevent rising.
4. Place tart pan with crust inside the oven for 15 minutes until crust becomes golden brown (blind baking).
5. Remove when slightly firm and cool.
1. Mix sour cream, cream cheese, lemon juice, sugar, and rose water in a bowl until smooth.
2. Spread evenly over cooled crust.
3. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes until slightly firm.
4. Remove and cool in the refrigerator while apples are prepped.
For the Roses:
1. Thinly slice apples with a mandolin or knife, the thinner the better.
2. Put all slices into a large microwaveable bowl, and mix in water, sugar, lemon juice until sugar is dissolved.
3. Microwave on high for 2 minutes, until apple slices are pliable.
4. Roll 6 thin slices into 6 small rolls. These will serve as the center for the roses.
5. Arrange each roll around the tart, pressing them into the now cooled, slightly firm custard. The custard will hold the apples in place.
6. One at a time, arrange apple slices around the center of one rose until the rose is big enough.
7. Repeat process with remaining 5 roses, making sure that each rose is similar in size.
8. After all 6 roses are complete, fill in remaining gaps between the 6 roses with small rolls of apples. These are the "buds" or the "small roses".
9. Chill tart for 1 hour, and wow your loved one with a creation worthy of Cupid himself.
Refrigerate for best results. Brush apples with lemon juice and sugar as necessary to prevent browning.
You'll also love
Chef Tips and Tricks
Sweet Apple Cinnamon Rolls
Pie crust dough
1/8 cup brown sugar
1/8 cup almond powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1. Halve an apple and slice each half finely.
2. Cut the top of a pie crust to get a straight edge.
3. Spread the brown sugar and almond powder all over the dough.
4. To get the first row, line up the apples in a straight line and cut out the section. Continue until all the dough is all used up.
5. Mix egg yellow and milk and cover each roll with the mixture.
6. If you wish, sprinkle a little extra brown sugar on top of each roll.
7. Bake in the oven for 18 min at 350° F.