American Gingerbread Cookies
an old style recipe, with a molasses flavour
- .5 c Crisco or Fluffo
- .5 c brown sugar, packed
- .75 c molasses
- 3.25 c unbleached flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ginger
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- .25 c water
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 15mins
Cost Average budget
Cream together Crisco and sugar.Add dry ingredients alternately with wet.Chill 90 mins.
Roll out to 1/4" thick and cut out with preferred cutters.
Place on lightly greased cookie sheets.Bake at 350 degrees for 12-15 mins. Cool completely before icing.
You'll also love
- Chocolate Cranberry Christmas... 4.5/5 (24 Votes)
- Chewy Gingerbread Cookies 4.3/5 (3 Votes)
- Pear Shortbread with Green Tea Foam 3/5 (213 Votes)
- Rhubarb Streusal Muffins 2.8/5 (21 Votes)
- Rich Dundee Cake 2.8/5 (10 Votes)
- Dutch Apple Pie 2.8/5 (19 Votes)
- kiss my cookies 3.2/5 (22 Votes)
- tasty mac n cheese 3/5 (223 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
These salted caramel thumbprint cookies are easy to make and super delicious!
- 1/4 cup / 50g of softened butter
- 1 egg (divide the yolk and white)
- 1/4 cup / 50g of sugar
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1 cup / 150g of flour
- 1 cup / 100g of chopped nuts
- Salted caramel
- Melted dark chocolate
In a bowl, mix together the butter, egg yolk, sugar, and salt.
Add the flour and mix. Roll into a ball.
Chill for 30 minutes.
Remove from refrigerator. Divide the dough and roll into 1-inch balls.
Dip each ball in egg yolk, and then roll in chopped nuts.
Place on baking sheet (lined with parchment paper), and press your thumb into the center.
Bake at 340°F/170°C for 12 minutes, or until golden.
Remove from oven and let cool.
Pour the salted caramel into the center groove,and drizzle with dark chocolate.