Apple and Green Pepper Chutney
For a sweet condiment that goes well with meat pies, empanadas or any cooked pork dish, try this apple and green pepper chutney. You can also use it as a sandwich spread or serve it on a cheese platter.
- 3 green peppers
- 1 medium onion
- 3 lb apples
- 1/2 lb seedless raisins
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1/2 pint vinegar
- 3/4 lb sugar
- 1 1/2 tbsp ground ginger
- 1/4 lb concord grape jelly or jam
- 3 lemons, zest and juice
Level of difficulty Average
Cost Average budget
Seed the peppers, peel the onion, peel and core the apples and mince all finely together with the raisins.
Place the mixture in a large saucepan with the remaining ingredients and simmer for about 1 hour, or until the chutney is thick.
Let cool, and serve.
Store leftovers in a sealed jar in the fridge.
You'll also love
Chef Tips and Tricks
This French tarte tatin is golden, caramelized apple perfection!
- 1 puff pastry
- 6 apples, sliced
- 3 oz. chilled butter, chopped into chunks
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- Roll out a puff pastry.
- Lay out the apple slices in a pan.
- Add chunks of butter on top of the apples.
- Sprinkle the brown sugar on top.
- Cook for 20 minutes in oven at 350°F, to caramelize the apples.
- Place puff pastry on top of the caramelized apples.
- Cook for 15 minutes at 350°F.