Crunchy Salmon Cakes with Greek Yougurt Sauce
Whether you start with fresh salmon or use leftover cooked salmon, you can serve these cakes with sauce as a main dish or as appetizers, or put them on a salad.
- 1 1/4 Pounds Salmon Filet
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper plus 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 1/2 cups panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup reduced fat mayonniase
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 2 egg whites
- lightly beaten
- cooking spray
- 1/4 cup reduced fat Greek yougurt
- 1 teaspoon snipped fresh dill
- 3/4 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon capers
- drained and chopped
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 15mins
Cost Average budget
Place salmon on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray; sprinkle with 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 14-17 minutes or until fish flakes easily with a fork. Cool slightly; remove skin, if necessary. Transfer salmon to a shallow dish; refrigerate, covered, for 2 hours or until chilled.
In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook and stir onion until tender. Stir in parsley.
In a large bowl, combine 1/2 cup bread crumbs, mayonnaise, lemon juice, salt, remaining pepper and onion mixture; if desired, add pepper sauce. Flake salmon; add to bread crumb mixture, mixing lightly. Shape into eight 2-1/2-in. patties.
Place egg whites and remaining bread crumbs in separate shallow bowls. Dip salmon patties in egg whites, then roll in crumbs to coat. Place on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Spritz tops with cooking spray. Bake, uncovered, at 425° for 14-17 minutes or until golden brown.
In a small bowl, mix sauce ingredients; serve with salmon cakes. Yield: 4 servings.
You'll also love
- MOTHER'S DILL PICKLES 4.1/5 (15 Votes)
- Salmon Cucumber Maki (Kappa) 4.5/5 (12 Votes)
- Mom's Creamy Cucumber Salad 4.1/5 (15 Votes)
- Tandoori Chicken 4.2/5 (11 Votes)
- White Cake with Brown Sugar Sauce 4/5 (12 Votes)
- The Ray's Awesome Tuna Salad... 4.2/5 (11 Votes)
- Cauliflower Sauce 4.2/5 (12 Votes)
- cristina curp 3.7/5 (46 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
These fun Tropical Salmon Sushi Cups make the perfect warm-weather appetizer!
- 1/2 cup rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 cups cooked sushi rice
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 tbsp seasame oil
- 1 tsp chili paste
- 1 mango, diced
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1 lb salmon, diced
- Combine the rice vinegar and sugar.
- Stir though the cooked sushi rice, and with wet hands, shape into balls.
- Press the balls into ramekins lined with parchment paper, and press the rice up the sides of the ramekins into cup shapes.
- Refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- In the meantime, combine the soy sauce, cilantro, sesame oil, chili paste and salt in a bowl.
- Combine the mango, avocado and salmon.
- Pour the soy mixture over the salmon mixture, and stir through until evenly coated.
- Remove the rice cups from the refrigerator, and peel off the parchment paper.
- Distribute the salmon mixture between the rice cups.
- Garnish, serve and enjoy!