Mango Chutney (Mango Relish, Aam Ka Lacha)
Mango Chutney is a lightly spiced, sweet and sour relish with a chunky texture that makes a perfect condiment.
- 2 raw Green Mangoes (about 3 cups of peeled and shredded mango)
- 2 tablespoon Oil
- 1 teaspoon Nigella Seeds (Onion Seeds or Kalonji)
- 4 whole dry Red Chilies
- 1 tablespoon shredded Ginger
- 2 tablespoons Golden Raisins
- 1/2 teaspoon Chili Powder
- 2 teaspoons Salt
- 1 cup Sugar
Level of difficulty Easy
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 10mins
Cost Budget Friendly
Wash and dry the mangoes. Peel the skins off and shred the fruit.
Heat oil in a sauce pan over medium heat. Add nigella seeds (kalonji) and whole red chili, stir for few seconds.
Add raisins and stir for a few seconds. Then add remaining ingredients shredded mango, sliced ginger, chili powder, salt and sugar. Mix well.
When the mango mix comes to a boil, cover the pot and turn the heat down to low medium.
Cook for ten minutes, until mangos are tender but not mushy. The finished Chutney has a lovely color.
Cool the chutney and store it in a glass jar. Refrigerated, the chutney will last for months.
It is important to get the right mangoes for chutney. Cooking mangoes are different from the mangoes we eat. For best results, the mangoes should be very firm. Slices should be white and sour.
You'll also love
- Savories- Polony & Cheese Samoosas 4.9/5 (164 Votes)
- Recipewe ♡ Authentic Puerto Rican Domplines 4.3/5 (206 Votes)
- Hungarian Zucchini Squash with... 4.6/5 (171 Votes)
- Spicy Scallop with Cilantro Pistou... 3.2/5 (236 Votes)
- Eggplant with sundried tomatoes 3.4/5 (230 Votes)
- Savories- Cheese and Onion... 2.9/5 (197 Votes)
- GARLIC PIZZA DOUGH (for the... 4/5 (109 Votes)
- Recipewe ♡ The Best Chocolate Bark, That is... 4.3/5 (80 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
Dive into summer with this fresh, light and healthy mango salad!
- 2 limes
- Olive oil
- Soy sauce
- Red onion, minced
- Lightly sautée the peanuts until golden.
- Take the carrots and cut into thin slices.
- Peel the mango and slice into thin strips.
- Squeeze the juice from 2 limes into a bowl, and add olive oil, soy sauce, minced onion, salt and pepper.
- In a bowl, toss together the mango, carrot, rocket, and lime-soy dressing.