Served with many mid-eastern dishes
- 1 cup long grain rice
- ¼ cup very thin and small egg noodles ( called shaira in Arabic, or can use the Italian orzo shape pasta)
- 4 tbs butter
- 2 cups chicken broth (can use water)
- ¼ tsp salt and ¼ tsp black pepper
Level of difficulty Easy
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 20mins
Cost Average budget
Wash the rice and drain well
Melt the butter on low heat, add the noodles and stir until golden brown
Add the rice and stir until it becomes pearly white ( about 10 minutes)
* keep the heat on low or medium to avoid burning and stir constantly
Add the broth or water all at once, ( keep your face away from the top because adding the water will create a gush of steam)
Add salt and pepper, mix well and cover the pot
Let the mixture come to a boil then reduce heat and cook for 15-20 minutes.
Take off the heat and let the rice rest for 5-10 minutes before serving. Stir with a fork to separate the grains.
Add pan roasted nut mixture to the top of the rice.
½ cup of slivered almonds , pan roasted with a tbs of butter ( pan roasting times vary for different nuts so don’t roast various types of nuts together)
¼ cup of pine nuts, pan roasted with a tsp of butter
¼ cup of currants, soaked in water for ½ an hour prior to use, drain well before use.
Add all together, and stir to combine and heat.
You'll also love
- GUACAMOLE 4.6/5 (31 Votes)
- Mozzarella Bacon Broccoli Salad 4.6/5 (14 Votes)
- Kale & Mushroom Saute 4.6/5 (25 Votes)
- Baked Squash 4.6/5 (34 Votes)
- deviled eggs 5/5 (2 Votes)
- Chicken and Mushroom Risotto 4.6/5 (7 Votes)
- Sopa 4.5/5 (37 Votes)
- Armenian Potato Salad 4.2/5 (38 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
Discover how to cook green vegetables the right way!
Review this recipe