It is a lighter, Spanish version of creme brulee
- 2c milk
- 1 cinnamon on stick
- Rind of one lemon
- 1t vanilla extract
- 4 medium egg yolks
- 1T cornstarch
- 1c superfine sugar
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 30mins
Cost Average budget
In a saucepan, bring the milk, cinnamon, lemon rind, and vanilla. Simmer for several minutes then discard rind and cinnamon stick. Set the flavored milk aside.
In a bowl, whisk yolks with 3/4c sugar and the cornstarch until creamy. Gradually add to the milk, stirring constantly.
Slowly heat the mixture until the mixture begins to thicken. DO NOT BOIL! Pour into shallow heat proof dishes and refrigerate several hours.
Immediately before serving, pre-heat broiler and evenly distribute the remaining sugar on top. Use the broiler to caramelize the sugar. Remove and serve.
The cinnamon is optional. Any citrus fruit can be used in place of lemon.
You'll also love
- Lemon Meringue Tartlets 4.8/5 (230 Votes)
- Jeremie's Crepe Batter 4.5/5 (72 Votes)
- Spanish Rice 4.1/5 (9 Votes)
- Creme Brulee (Custard) 4.5/5 (12 Votes)
- Sugar Cookies for the Holidays 2.9/5 (8 Votes)
- Blackberries on Champagne 2.9/5 (15 Votes)
- Sweet Red Peppers 2.8/5 (6 Votes)
- Sweet Wheat Pancakes with berry... 2.7/5 (7 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
These salted caramel thumbprint cookies are easy to make and super delicious!
- 1/4 cup / 50g of softened butter
- 1 egg (divide the yolk and white)
- 1/4 cup / 50g of sugar
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1 cup / 150g of flour
- 1 cup / 100g of chopped nuts
- Salted caramel
- Melted dark chocolate
In a bowl, mix together the butter, egg yolk, sugar, and salt.
Add the flour and mix. Roll into a ball.
Chill for 30 minutes.
Remove from refrigerator. Divide the dough and roll into 1-inch balls.
Dip each ball in egg yolk, and then roll in chopped nuts.
Place on baking sheet (lined with parchment paper), and press your thumb into the center.
Bake at 340°F/170°C for 12 minutes, or until golden.
Remove from oven and let cool.
Pour the salted caramel into the center groove,and drizzle with dark chocolate.