Coconut Cream Poke Cake
Rate this recipe 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Coconut Cream Pie Bars
- FOR THE CRUST:
- 1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp. water
- FOR THE FILLING:
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup corn starch
- 2 cups half and half
- 4 egg yolks
- 3 tbsp. butter
- 1 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 1 1/2 tsp. coconut extract
- FOR THE TOPPING:
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- sweetened coconut, toasted
- Mexico Avocados Make Dessert More Delicious
- Preheat oven to 400F degrees
- Combine crust ingredients and spread into a 9x13 baking dish
- (note: for more detailed directions on making this crust, click HERE)
- Poke dough all over with a fork.
- This keeps the dough from puffing up too much while baking.
- Bake at 400F degrees for about 10-15 minutes.
- Crust should be a light golden brown and not "doughy".
- Let the crust cool.
- Then prepare the filling.
- In a bowl, whisk together half and half and egg yolks.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine sugar and cornstarch.
- Then slowly stir in half and half mixture while continuing to whisk.
- Bring heat up to high and continue to whisk. Do not leave your pot.
- Pudding is so easy to make but the minute you walk away, it can thicken up on ya and you have a globby mess. So just hang in there and keep whisking while the mixture comes up to a boil. After a few minutes you will notice it has thickened. Take the saucepan off the heat and stir in 3 tbsp. butter, 1 cup coconut and coconut extract. Stir well.
- Then spread pudding mixture over crust. Allow to cool for a few minutes.
- Then cover with plastic wrap. And pop it in your fridge to cool for about an hour.
- Now, for the whipped cream, you will need to use the whisk attachment on your stand mixer (or a bowl and a whisk if doing it by hand). Pour 2 cups heavy whipping cream and turn mixer on to medium-high. Slowly add in sugar and then vanilla. Mix until whipped cream forms soft peaks. Then spread whipped cream over coconut pudding layer.
- Now for the toasted coconut topping (if you prefer it toasted).
- Preheat oven to 325F degrees. Put about a cup of coconut on a baking pan. Place it in the oven and bake for about 5-10 minutes. Stir every couple of minutes and don't walk away from oven because it has a tendency to burn the second you walk away. Let toasted coconut cool.
- Sprinkle bars with toasted coconut then slice
Level of difficulty Average
Cost Average budget
You'll also love
Chef Tips and Tricks
VIDEO: Rustic Cherry Tart
Craving sweet? This rustic cherry tart is easy, quick and delicious!
- 1 shortcrust pastry
- 3 cups / 750 g. of cherries
- 1/3 cup / 60 g. of sugar
- 2/3 cup / 60 g. of almond flour
- 4 tbsp. of brown sugar
- A dash of milk
- Mix the cherries and sugar together. Let stand 20 minutes.
- Spread or roll out the shortcrust pastry, sprinkle with almond powder and brown sugar.
- Place the cherries in the center of the dough, leaving about 2 inches of free dough on the edges. Fold in the edges.
- Brush with milk (this will make the crust go golden), sprinkle with brown sugar and bake for 20 minutes at 350°F/180°C.
- Top with a handful of chopped pistachios, and serve!